to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

PSM3's final farewell

Your comments on our articles.

"That's what endings do. Allow you to evaluate the journey", writes editor-in-chief Daniel Dawkins

I've worked on PSM3 for twelve years. Twelve years. That's a third of my life. It's shocking to type. When I joined PSM2 in September 2000, George Bush was yet to become US president, Craig David's '7 days' dominated the charts and Big Brother pioneered a novel format called 'reality TV'.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

PSM3's final farewell

Postby IplayVideogames » 19 Jan 2013, 13:39

Fantastic article, really hits on the whole loss of community we've seen in this generation of gaming and the cold cynicism that the internet is bringing (and now extending to the death of physical shops.) Brought back some great memories of a more innocent age, kudos to you.
I wish CVG would stop giving Peter Molyneux publicity
IplayVideogames 32

Re: PSM3's final farewell

Postby gmcb007 » 19 Jan 2013, 14:18

EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby Gambini » 19 Jan 2013, 14:38

Superb article. That is all.
My Most Anticipated Games for 2012/13: http://quicklinkr.com/gambini
Gambini 53

Postby MRHONGKONGDAVE » 19 Jan 2013, 15:40

Peace out :wink:
MRHONGKONGDAVE 35

Xbox Live: MRHONGKONGDAVE
PSN ID: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Steam: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Battle.net: MRHONGKONGDAVE (origin)

Postby SgtNatino » 19 Jan 2013, 15:48

Brilliant mag. The only one I ever consistently bought, great content, writing, reviews, and people behind the mag. I salute you, PSM3. "You're pretty good!"
SgtNatino 24

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 19 Jan 2013, 17:20

Personally i never liked the magazine but i am gutted as i see not just a magazine going but another nail in the coffin for traditional games news and reviews.

Hope those who worked there all get nice new shiny jobs soon, all the best.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby aindriu80 » 19 Jan 2013, 19:09

blah blah blah.... never mentioned the price ? It was always too expensive !
aindriu80 39

PSN ID: aindriu80
Steam: aindriu80

Postby budge » 19 Jan 2013, 21:56

Nice words, Dan.

I'd much prefer a monthly magazine to a daily website (don't get me wrong, CVG is alright most of the time) but I remember years ago waiting for my subscription mag to come through the door (PSM not Razzle) looking forward to reading about what was going on in the gaming world, new releases and pictures of graphics.

Internet game sites are updated daily so when there is no news you start goetting poor articles of which wouldn't even make a magazine, some aren't even game related and are drip fed for more articles. It's like when you can't watch more than 10 minutes of Sky Sports News without them repeating the same old shite.

It's a massive shame about PSM2/3 but these are times I guess. At least PSM2 got into the ending credits of MGS3 Snake Eater.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 19 Jan 2013, 22:15

I stopped buying PSM3 a year ago because of 2 reasons. 1 all the reviews and some articles were published on here. 2, because it just wasn't a mag that had the best interest in gamers just like cvg haven't got the best interest in gamers. They were too corporate biased for my liking defending s**tty practises and never slamming publishers for ripping gamers off with said shady practises just like CVG!

Now I read Play mostly as they come across as more interested in looking out for gamers and come across as genuine gamers themselves rather than corporate lapdogs. Their only problem for me is I don't really agree with their reviews on too many occasions.

Anyway magazines are far superior to websites for proper gaming articles and professional write ups. Websites are only mainly interested in bite size pieces with no investigation and using stupid headlines to get attention.

Fair well to PSM3 I may of not liked your mag but I used to love it back when you in your peak. Good luck to the staff.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 20 Jan 2013, 00:14

Just to read the article fully now, brilliantly written and actually made me feel guilty for my last post. Anyway good luck to all the staff.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby sammikid » 20 Jan 2013, 00:27

I still have that PSM2 mag somewhere with the free VHS, atleast I think I do. I watched that video over & over again for the MGS2 trailer. Must have been in my early teens maybe younger. Was never a regular reader only on the odd occasion when a certain issue had something that interested me, but yeah, then the internet took over and didn't cost me a fiver. Which unfortunately for me at that age was always alot of money! even now at 29 i'd think twice about parting with that sum of money for a magazine (yeah i'm jobless at the moment) :(
sammikid 61

PSN ID: SammIKid

Postby coldburner » 20 Jan 2013, 01:48

Brilliant article, full stop.
coldburner 31

Postby AndyCVG » 21 Jan 2013, 10:07

aindriu80 wrote:blah blah blah....

Charming.
AndyCVG

Postby AndyCVG » 21 Jan 2013, 10:08

Mmmmgrolsch wrote:it just wasn't a mag that had the best interest in gamers just like cvg haven't got the best interest in gamers. They were too corporate biased for my liking defending s**tty practises and never slamming publishers for ripping gamers off with said shady practises just like CVG!

I don't know what magazine you were reading, but that certainly wasn't PSM.
AndyCVG

Postby Melbourne_Rhino » 21 Jan 2013, 12:00

To Dan and everyone else on the PSM team past and present...Thank You.
It is such a shame that a publication with the team and community dedication of the PSM magazines has come to an end. I have played many games on your recommendation that I would never have played previously: Mass Effect, Enslaved, Resistance 3, Vanquish to name a few, and also avoided wasting my money on many titles that had the PR to lure an unsuspecting consumer into parting with their ÂŁ40 for a complete bum nugget (in the words of Andy K). I still listen to your podcasts from as far back as episode 1 on my commute to work and these often inspire me to nostalgically load up an old game that you have discussed.

Favourite bits from the podcasts include:
Steve W - "if I was Batman I'd just dump the cape in a bin and leave!"
Andy H being 'part of the 1%'
Dan's ragey Fifa rant and the classic 'Amoeba' line!
Andy K's Marty McFly humiliation
Getting a mention on the PS Vita launch episode (first comment - woo-hoo)

Sorry, but the low point would be having to sit through Mike Gapper droning on in the later casts...God that guy can talk.

Another good memory is emailing the PSM mailbox to check on my competition entry, finding out I hadn't won - then Dan offering to send me the GOW HD games just for getting in touch with the team...Cheers Dan!

Getting a letter published just before the magazine closure was announced was also a good memory.

I sincerely hope that the team all manage to secure employment if they have not already done so. For those who are still contributing to CVG...is there any chance of the podcasts continuing under the main CVG banner?

Thanks again
Melbourne_Rhino 8
New user

Next