BLOG: The 25 rarest and quirkiest game controllers ever

Your comments on our articles.

Have you had your hands on any of these?

Last week Microsoft revealed a new limited edition Tomb Raider Xbox 360 controller. It looks the part, but it's by no means the most interesting controller we've ever seen.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: BLOG: The 25 rarest and quirkiest game controllers ever

Postby Skullet » 16 Jan 2013, 01:02

Windowlicker79 wrote:Anyone remember the Sega Control Stick? It was when Sega went a bit weird and decided to switch the location of the stick and the buttons for no good reason whatsoever. Obviously it meant it sold very poorly.

Not as awesome as the Arcade Power Stick, simply because it has Power in the name though, that always earns extra points.

Skullet 61

Postby Agent75 » 16 Jan 2013, 01:09

Official Dreamcast maracas are fairly sought after and can command a decent price of around £100, no way are they rare. Can't say I've seen any US ones, only Japanese and European ones, the Japanese ones are the most common. But the official ones have been known to break easy. The unofficial ChaCha maracas are known to be better, but can't say I can back that up. Official wireless Mega Drive 6 button controllers are sought after also, more so if they're boxed with the manual. Current consoles with wireless controllers is old news.
Agent75 49

Postby McShave 07 » 16 Jan 2013, 01:52

25 pages!!!! Nope I don't care what this article is about now. CVG why have you gone back to this crap!
McShave 07 35

Xbox Live: McShave 07

Postby Windowlicker79 » 16 Jan 2013, 02:32

McShave 07 wrote:25 pages!!!! Nope I don't care what this article is about now. CVG why have you gone back to this crap!

No need to fret. I posted all the pictures in a single comment on the first page of comments! If you really need to read the words that accompany the image then just count which image it is and go straight to that page :)
Windowlicker79 55

Xbox Live: windowlicker79

Postby Windowlicker79 » 16 Jan 2013, 02:33

flyfletch wrote:
Windowlicker79 wrote:Anyone remember the Sega Control Stick? It was when Sega went a bit weird and decided to switch the location of the stick and the buttons for no good reason whatsoever. Obviously it meant it sold very poorly.

My god I forgot I had that, it was for the master system if I remember right?

Yup. A friend of mine had it and it never, ever got used. It was literally unusable!
Windowlicker79 55

Postby Windowlicker79 » 16 Jan 2013, 02:44

I always wished they'd released this Xbox 360 controller in the UK. Unfortunately it was exclusive to Gamestop in America :(
Windowlicker79 55

Postby richomack360 » 16 Jan 2013, 09:05

Skullet wrote:Not as awesome as the Arcade Power Stick, simply because it has Power in the name though, that always earns extra points.

I always wanted one of these and would make regular trips to Software Plus to try to get one...alas - I failed

On that Konami headset for the NES (or was it SNES) didn't you have to shout BANG to make it fire ? Is that what they do in Apache helicopters ?
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby Simon Carlin » 16 Jan 2013, 10:02

The controller that caught my attention was the one for disabled kids, or adults too..

I mean, good that it was even a thing but I'd love to see someone play Track and Field with it.
Simon Carlin 25

Postby Simon Carlin » 16 Jan 2013, 10:03

richomack360 wrote:On that Konami headset for the NES (or was it SNES) didn't you have to shout BANG to make it fire ? Is that what they do in Apache helicopters ?

It just responded to noise, so you could meow really loud and get the same results.
Simon Carlin 25

Postby Simon_H4 » 16 Jan 2013, 10:19

Blimey I had a Sega arcade control stick and that Master System thing too! Completely forgot about it.

I've got Samba de Amigo still in it's box, the other half wont let me put it on eBay though :(

The Quickshot 2 was the best (worst) controller I had for the speccy, think I've still got that somewhere too :D
Simon_H4 70

Postby Medven » 16 Jan 2013, 11:15

+5 Internets for the author.

Thanks for the great article, I'll be spending the rest of the day trolling e-bay for controllers
Medven 25

PSN ID: Joth231
Steam: Medvenagain

Postby richomack360 » 16 Jan 2013, 11:23

Simon Carlin wrote:
richomack360 wrote:On that Konami headset for the NES (or was it SNES) didn't you have to shout BANG to make it fire ? Is that what they do in Apache helicopters ?

It just responded to noise, so you could meow really loud and get the same results.

I must get it just so I can yell "dont fire" into it. I am sure if i do that then I would somehow destroy the space -time - continum and end this universe.

Yup.
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby c97dem » 16 Jan 2013, 11:29

I *still* have the Alien 3 Cheetah controller, boxed and everything.

Think I tried to use it ones and found it awful to use, but still awesome cause it's an Alien lol
c97dem 55

Xbox Live: magic mugs
PSN ID: chenzee
Steam: thenephilim79

Postby ensabahnur » 16 Jan 2013, 11:52

flyfletch wrote:I had that clear SNES controller and does anyone remember the mad analogue controller Sega released for Nights on the Saturn? Had that and the Street Fighter controller for the 3DO...and as I said above I have the Street fighter 15th anniversary controller still boxed and working :-)
That'll be this one,

I've still got mine kicking about somewhere, it was great for Daytona, Manx TT and Sega Rally as well. You can see where they got the basic design for the Dreamcast controller from.

Oh and 25 pages again, come on CVG we've been through this already.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby Windowlicker79 » 16 Jan 2013, 11:52

Simon Carlin wrote:

You should check out the Angry Video Game Nerd video I posted earlier. He reviews the Konami headseat... :D
Windowlicker79 55

PreviousNext