Exposed: PlayStation in 2013

Your comments on our articles.

PS4, next Assassin's Creed, Battlefield 4 − we reveal everything we know about PlayStation and Xbox in 2013

Christmas 2013 is the full stop for this generation's very long story. In the year to come, PS3 will get the send-off it deserves after seven years of hard work.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Exposed: PlayStation in 2013

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 29 Dec 2012, 22:08

stealth wrote:Based on time alone its 'next gen'. Based on hardware, its a current gen device, no question. It will look hugely out of date when the next playstation and xbox are released.

based on hardware its next gen. No this gen system can do real 1080 and 60fps like wii u can at launch

not that specs matter in anything regarding this industry sales, games or otherwise.[/quote]

ps3 and 360 had games released several years ago that ran at 1080p/60fps, the hardware inside the box is a lot closer to the current systems then it will be the proper next generation systems. There is not a cats chance in hell that the Wii-U will be Nintendo's main console mid way through sony and microsofts next gen consoles lifetime (ie 5 or so years time). It will be completely outdated.

Im not knocking the Wii-U, im simply saying it doesnt offer a true technical leap that other consoles do which represent a true 'next gen' experience. The Wii-U offers a slightly improved experience to the 360/ps3 with a new controller, nothing more.
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 74

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 29 Dec 2012, 22:15

FixBeatGames wrote:can i make a prediction too?

if the next ps/xbox releases when this article predicts, they'll both sell low and the whole games industry will collapse like it did last time there were too many consoles to choose from.

i predict it will be at least 2014 when microsoft/sony announce the next gen consoles.

i reckon sony might even try and make an add-on for ps3 instead, would make so much more sense to do a sega mega-cd type thing, only this one adding a new cpu and lots of ram. a ps3 with a new cpu and say 8gb ram, would absolutely kick ass. i would MUCH rather spend £200 on a box that plugs into the ps3 to improve it, rather than £500 on a whole new console.

That would be idiotic and probably be the nail in Sonys coffin! Who would even buy the add on? Nowhere near enough numbers to make it worth while for devs to bother with it.

Add ons have pretty much always resulted in poor financial return.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby hi0marc » 29 Dec 2012, 23:57

Both will release in winter of 2013, neither will achieve much success until xmas 2014, after a price drop, a period of stability and a good enough catalogue to force us to looks upwards.

Fanboyism etc will be revived but wont be strong enough to force up sales, especially in Europe, as no one has that much money...
Which leads me to believe Xbox sales will look stronger as the US (its stronghold) will surge to buy it while Japan/large parts of Europe cant afford to yet. Will level out eventually like with this gen.
Maybe one will crack China? Lol joke.
hi0marc 41

Postby stealth » 30 Dec 2012, 01:19

DAEDALUS79 wrote:
stealth wrote:Based on time alone its 'next gen'. Based on hardware, its a current gen device, no question. It will look hugely out of date when the next playstation and xbox are released.

based on hardware its next gen. No this gen system can do real 1080 and 60fps like wii u can at launch

not that specs matter in anything regarding this industry sales, games or otherwise.

ps3 and 360 had games released several years ago that ran at 1080p/60fps, the hardware inside the box is a lot closer to the current systems then it will be the proper next generation systems. There is not a cats chance in hell that the Wii-U will be Nintendo's main console mid way through sony and microsofts next gen consoles lifetime (ie 5 or so years time). It will be completely outdated.

Im not knocking the Wii-U, im simply saying it doesnt offer a true technical leap that other consoles do which represent a true 'next gen' experience. The Wii-U offers a slightly improved experience to the 360/ps3 with a new controller, nothing more.[/quote]

You had indie games that could barely do it. No retail game can do it. Thats a fact brosef. Of course the wii u will be there main console mid way. Because specs dont matter, not even slightly as to what sells the most.
stealth 47

Postby stealth » 30 Dec 2012, 01:20

@"goggy"

We go through this every time, then the system with the highest specs gets destroyed sales wise
stealth 47

Postby toaplan » 30 Dec 2012, 03:36

stealth wrote:@"goggy"

We go through this every time, then the system with the highest specs gets destroyed sales wise

I'd call the PSP's and PS3's +70 million unit sales very good, far from "getting destroyed".

I think specs do matter, for the core gamer. The Saturn got crushed by the PS1, and in the beginning it had a lot to do with the latter being perceived as more powerful by the core gamers. The same thing happened, when the original Xbox - which was most likely bought exclusively by the core gamers keen on a high-spec machine - was able to come from nowhere and outsell Nintendo's GameCube.

However, the mainstream / casual market doesn't seem to care much for specs. They bought Playstations, then Wiis & DSs and finally iPhones and iPads, because they were fashionable and reasonably priced, except maybe the unsubsidized iProducts. (and all had decent software support as well).

The core gamers have kept the PS3 / X360 console market going and my feeling is that the size of the core gamer market has been slowly but steadily growing over the years - with the exception of the current year, when the approaching next-gen transition has finally begun to dent the sales of the PS360. Therefore, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the PS4 and X720 sell more than their predecessors.

The Wii U's sales to me look more unpredictable and will depend on whether the more casual market will take to the machine - in addition to the Ninty loyalists, which based on the sales of the GC, may number somewhere in the region of 20+ million.

I think smartphones and tablets are enough for many casual gamers these days and they may consequently have less need for Nintendo products (core gamers haven't flocked to the Vita either, but at least the PS360 market hasn't been disrupted by the smartphone and tablet boom). But so far, the 3DS has done better than expected, so the "Nintendoomed" scenario isn't looking that likely yet.
toaplan 74

Postby FixBeatGames » 30 Dec 2012, 05:02

Mmmmgrolsch wrote:

if the next ps/xbox releases when this article predicts, they'll both sell low and the whole games industry will collapse like it did last time there were too many consoles to choose from.

i predict it will be at least 2014 when microsoft/sony announce the next gen consoles.

i reckon sony might even try and make an add-on for ps3 instead, would make so much more sense to do a sega mega-cd type thing, only this one adding a new cpu and lots of ram. a ps3 with a new cpu and say 8gb ram, would absolutely kick ass. i would MUCH rather spend £200 on a box that plugs into the ps3 to improve it, rather than £500 on a whole new console.

That would be idiotic and probably be the nail in Sonys coffin! Who would even buy the add on? Nowhere near enough numbers to make it worth while for devs to bother with it.

Add ons have pretty much always resulted in poor financial return.

Time have changed.

Plus, let's look at it this way.

What would you regard as TRULY 'next gen'. (ignore the wii u for a moment)

let's say you regard a top end £800 PC as truly 'next gen. how on earth could sony or microsoft offer the same spec as a £800 PC in a games console? PS3 almost flopped at the start with a £450 price tag.

nobody would buy a console even at £450 now or next year, when that would give about 75% of top-end pc power TODAY. in another year or 2 top-end pcs will be even more advanced and will make the 'next gen' consoles look a generation behind.

if the 'next gen' consoles want to be truly next-gen, they need to get as close as possible to high end pc capabilities OR go back to gaming's roots where technology isn't THAT important. (which wont happen). the only way they'll do that, is to modify the current consoles with an extension of some kind.

it's either: do a nintendo and release a slightly more powerful machine and call it 'next gen', or release an add on for 360/ps3 that upgrades it significantly more for the same cost a whole new console woulb be.

no brainer IMO.
FixBeatGames 41

Postby thelazyone » 30 Dec 2012, 05:48

^ Lets see what happenes. Can't wait and Sony is looking solid next year :D
"Video Games are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock 'N' Roll" - Shigeru Miyamoto
thelazyone 57

Xbox Live: HyperSinperPOW
PSN ID: Googie_1
Wii Code: WiiU- 2hathuddas

Postby dwhlufc » 30 Dec 2012, 09:52

I hate all this 1080p/60fps talk. Sony said Wipeout runs at 1080/60 but it didn't, but who cares it looked and played great. Are the differences that big that people have to keep going on about it, like its revolutionary?

I don't see the pc gamers on here bragging about it and they've been accustomed to it for years now.
dwhlufc 76

Postby superfruit » 30 Dec 2012, 11:05

Err...no. As has been mentioned, Sega tried this almost 2 decades ago and it didn't work. If you want to upgrade things bit by bit......GET A PC!!!

You say the public will be confused by new consoles launching in 2013. They'll be even more confused by console add ons.
superfruit 50

Postby kirankara » 30 Dec 2012, 12:34

stealth wrote:
DAEDALUS79 wrote:based on hardware its next gen. No this gen system can do real 1080 and 60fps like wii u can at launch

not that specs matter in anything regarding this industry sales, games or otherwise.

Yeah they can, but like wiiu, they can only do it on certain titles.
Its been shown with titles like trine 2 that wiiu has some advantages over ps3 and 360(my old gtx 570 ran this game at higher settings at 60fps, wiiu still only 30fps BTW), but so far, and this could change, as developers familiarise themselves with it's architecture, it seems to have disadvantages too. The number of games it's appeared to have shown CPU weaknesses, is quite substantial.

I think this will be alleviated, as they start to use it's unique architecture, and offload CPU tasks to GPU, but that will only give it a small advantage at best.
I'm not going to hate on wiiu, as it looks like it will have lot of fun games IMO, and when its right price, I'll buy one (just upgraded CPU on my PC, so I'm £250 worse off, so this won't be for a while lol), but only a mad man would claim wiiu is next gen hardware, in anything but name and chronological order.
It's lack of power didn't really bother me, as its other elements matter more to me, but the facts are that it's barely a step above ps3/360 and will not run next gen engines, as they will be designed to run.
kirankara 57

Postby thelazyone » 30 Dec 2012, 13:24

^ Love next gen talk.

Are there any links to rumours on spec for ps4?
"Video Games are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock 'N' Roll" - Shigeru Miyamoto
thelazyone 57

Xbox Live: HyperSinperPOW
PSN ID: Googie_1
Wii Code: WiiU- 2hathuddas

Postby FixBeatGames » 30 Dec 2012, 13:30

superfruit wrote:

Err...no. As has been mentioned, Sega tried this almost 2 decades ago and it didn't work. If you want to upgrade things bit by bit......GET A PC!!!

You say the public will be confused by new consoles launching in 2013. They'll be even more confused by console add ons.

lol, sega failed with the 32X because it was a piece of s**t, and everybody knew they had another full console around the corner. if sony released a ps3.5 add-on and made it clear there was no ps4 on the cards, people would but it to upgrade their ps3.

really people, using the 32X or the mega-cd by sega as an example why this wouldn't work for sony is ridiculous, totally different circumstances and different times. back then people wouldn't have dreamed of updating games or consoles, that was a PC gaming thing. now people do MANY things with consoles that used to be for pc gaming. i don't see why upgrading the actual console would be any different for them, as long as it was plug and play.
FixBeatGames 41

Postby sevvybgoode » 30 Dec 2012, 13:42

There is no way that ms or Sony would create console upgrades like the mega cd or sega mushroom for next gen. However I can see them possibly offering different specs of console or the potential to upgrade the console similar to pcs (more likely to be Microsoft then Sony though). In a similar vein to the saturns 4mb ram cart or the n64s ram expansion kit, ram or harddrive space are the only 2 parts that could be upgraded easily without affecting compatibility.

This also allows them to offer cheaper alternatives to the specs a lot of people are expecting (8-32gb of ram? Really?). I can see the Xbox 3 and ps4 being a lot closer to wiiu specs than pc specs simply due to cost. Launching at 500 quid would be suicide in today's economic climate and neither manufacturer can afford to lose 200-300 on each unit so they can't compete with current pc specs to a certain extent. Saying that if they do go down the subscripts route in a similar way to mobile phones or iPads this could definitely be possible...

I'll be honest though, I'm looking forwards to an aesthetic upgrade as much as the next person but there are things I'd much rather see in a next gen console. A move to cartridges to eradicate load times, better communication options (although microsofts chat services are quite good even if kinect can only do 121 video chat), copying apples or steams philosophy on online pricing and sales, Microsoft following sonys lead and offering a service similar to ps+ and lastly (but ever so importantly) a return of the light gun! I'm not talking about the terrible move or wii motion control b*****ks but a light gun as accurate as the Saturn or NES would be fine... Admittedly the wii zapper worked ok but the move sharpshooter required recalibration so often it should have been turned into a mini game... :?
There were 11000 gun related homicides in America in 2008, Japan had 6 gun related deaths in the same year. Does anyone know if they play videogames in Japan?
sevvybgoode 53

Xbox Live: sevvy b goode
PSN ID: Sevvybgoode

Postby flyfletch » 30 Dec 2012, 14:04

sevvybgoode wrote:There is no way that ms or Sony would create console upgrades like the mega cd or sega mushroom for next gen. However I can see them possibly offering different specs of console or the potential to upgrade the console similar to pcs (more likely to be Microsoft then Sony though). In a similar vein to the saturns 4mb ram cart or the n64s ram expansion kit, ram or harddrive space are the only 2 parts that could be upgraded easily without affecting compatibility.

This also allows them to offer cheaper alternatives to the specs a lot of people are expecting (8-32gb of ram? Really?). I can see the Xbox 3 and ps4 being a lot closer to wiiu specs than pc specs simply due to cost. Launching at 500 quid would be suicide in today's economic climate and neither manufacturer can afford to lose 200-300 on each unit so they can't compete with current pc specs to a certain extent. Saying that if they do go down the subscripts route in a similar way to mobile phones or iPads this could definitely be possible...

I'll be honest though, I'm looking forwards to an aesthetic upgrade as much as the next person but there are things I'd much rather see in a next gen console. A move to cartridges to eradicate load times, better communication options (although microsofts chat services are quite good even if kinect can only do 121 video chat), copying apples or steams philosophy on online pricing and sales, Microsoft following sonys lead and offering a service similar to ps+ and lastly (but ever so importantly) a return of the light gun! I'm not talking about the terrible move or wii motion control b*****ks but a light gun as accurate as the Saturn or NES would be fine... Admittedly the wii zapper worked ok but the move sharpshooter required recalibration so often it should have been turned into a mini game... :?

Looks like your in for a shock, there is no way that the PS4 and 720 or whatever it will be called will be anything like the specs of the Wii U, i would happily bet my life savings on it, these new systems will be in it for the long hall.

And as i said in a previous post, £400-£450 is not much to ask for a system that will probably last you many years, its a solid investment and i also said previously, if people cant afford it at release then save up and wait for the inevitable price drop, i for one will pay full whack because i want a new system now and can see the value in it.

If people can find £500 odd quid for a new iPhone every year, they can find £450 for a one off purchase of the new systems. If not dont go trying to hamstring it for the rest of us who can afford it and want it now. Im not being selfish saying that, its the way things are, if you cant afford something save for it, that doesnt mean the rest of us should suffer for it.
flyfletch 72

PreviousNext