to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

OPINION: 'Corporate jargon is enslaving the way we think abo

Your comments on our articles.

Steve Williams says drop the 'I'm a grownup' corporate rubbish

These are my last words. There's something I hate, and it's getting worse. It's marketing speak. Corporate jargon. Multisyllabic gobbledegook. It's enslaving the way we think about games, and it makes me want to cleanse every last motherfacilitator in the room.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: OPINION: 'Corporate jargon is enslaving the way we think

Postby Dalaeck » 31 Dec 2012, 06:58

I fully agree with everything said in this article.
Dalaeck 42

Postby Yellow6 » 31 Dec 2012, 07:22

Balladeer wrote:CVG, the website for the discerning gamer-financier.

Balla, you do make me :lol:
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
Yellow6 46

Postby Yellow6 » 31 Dec 2012, 07:39

There are plenty of highly qualified people who have worked in business/finance for many, many years who
simply cringe/laugh/cry when they hear "corporate" jargon.

Sometimes if you ask for clarification of what the jargon meant, the BS artist in question cannot explain what they actually meant :!:
It's a general rule that the more envelopes being pushed by someone thinking of blue skies outside the box.....the less that person actually knows about the subject under discussion.
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
Yellow6 46

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 31 Dec 2012, 10:40

I agree with the article. I'd say the word i hate the most is Franchise. A franchise is a sodding Starbucks or Macdonalds. Games are not merely money makers. The word you asshats are looking for is Series.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby toaplan » 31 Dec 2012, 16:01

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:I agree with the article. I'd say the word i hate the most is Franchise. A franchise is a sodding Starbucks or Macdonalds. Games are not merely money makers. The word you asshats are looking for is Series.

The meaning of the word "franchise" would seem to be somewhat wider though? For example, "the Mario franchise" covers every Mario game and Mario-related game released and also any tie-in products like the Mario & Luigi plush toys in the CVG office. "The Mario series" to me seems a narrower term and makes me think of the individual series, like the 2D Mario series, the Galaxy series or the Mario Party series. By using the term "franchise" it's clear that you mean the whole lot.

But I agree that the term "franchise" is more closely associated with active money-making, compared to the more general term "series".
toaplan 74

Postby toaplan » 31 Dec 2012, 16:37

Yellow6 wrote:There are plenty of highly qualified people who have worked in business/finance for many, many years who
simply cringe/laugh/cry when they hear "corporate" jargon.

Sometimes if you ask for clarification of what the jargon meant, the BS artist in question cannot explain what they actually meant :!:
It's a general rule that the more envelopes being pushed by someone thinking of blue skies outside the box.....the less that person actually knows about the subject under discussion.

The "business" terms related to psychology often are dodgy, like "thinking outside the box". "Innovation" is another similar overused term that has been making some people cringe. That one's been used often on this site as well and I don't think it's a horrible term, although in many cases it could be replaced with "creativity" or "originality".

What I had in mind in my defense of business terms were some of the more basic definitional terms. For example, the difference between revenue (sales) and income (profit), which has been causing some confusion here in the comments related to the financial reports of Sony / Nintendo / MS.
toaplan 74

Postby gmcb007 » 31 Dec 2012, 16:45

I'm more concerned about the corporate dominance over the industry rather than how they advertise their product. It is getting harder these days to find a game that comes equipped with all the original content at the standard RRP. Seriously, nearly every upcoming game I want to preorder has 3 different editions all of which only offering you access to "Exclusive content" that is really just been snipped for the sake of milking. Whatever just happened to a standard and collector edition?

Then even if you are lucky to come across an actual complete game, you're more than likely going to run into a large game ruining bug that has slipped through 'testing' because the developers only wanted to find out if the playtesters felt sad about a certain character or some other PR b*****ks.

At the end of the day it is us gamers that are fueling this, I mean look at Operation Racoon City's 2 million sales.

If things get any worse (and will do if FTP takes off) I think i'll retire from modern gaming and stick to this gen and before.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby D3Seeker » 01 Jan 2013, 02:26

You know, you just nailed it hardcore, at least part of it, but dam you got it. There really hasn't been anywhere near as much creativity out of these developers. This gen is dragging on and this industry has issues to get over. I fear though the glory days are long gone last gen was it and somehow I fear that this is how it's gonna be. :cry:
D3Seeker 4
New user

Previous