to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Revealed: CVG's Best Games of 2012

Your comments on our articles.

We ask our writers to pick their favourites...

With 2013 - belatedly - heralding the arrival of next gen, this year has seen console developers squeezing all remaining juice out of existing hardware... while PC devs show us what awaits in The Future.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Revealed: CVG's Best Games of 2012

Postby Barca Azul » 19 Dec 2012, 18:14

Dan D PSM3 wrote:Ha! Yes, that's pretty accurate - but while I'd probably pick Far Cry 3 as my AAA console game of the year, and The Walking Dead as the most interesting, I've played PES 2013 more than just about anything. So it's an honest confluence of circumstances. Note: this isn't a dig at FIFA. It's fantastic. I just play more PES 2013.

Good to see PES getting a bit more love this year, last year was good again, but its a very good game if you know how to play it.

Its a bit like an old girlfriend, if you see past its downfalls, its ultimately an enjoyable ride!
Barca Azul 61

Postby Barca Azul » 19 Dec 2012, 18:16

Journey is still my game of this year though.
Barca Azul 61

Postby Solm » 20 Dec 2012, 11:47

Dan D PSM3 wrote:Ha! Yes, that's pretty accurate - but while I'd probably pick Far Cry 3 as my AAA console game of the year, and The Walking Dead as the most interesting, I've played PES 2013 more than just about anything. So it's an honest confluence of circumstances. Note: this isn't a dig at FIFA. It's fantastic. I just play more PES 2013.

LOL - confluence of circumstances. Hey Dan will miss the PSM 3 Podcast they were brill. Love the phrases you come out with. Best of luck in your future jobs/roles.
PSN ID: Solm67
I'm a father that doesn't want to grow up.
Solm 53

Xbox Live: SOLM
Steam: Solm1967

Postby Solm » 20 Dec 2012, 11:49

Barca Azul wrote:Journey is still my game of this year though.

Pick it up last night as part of the bundle. Can't wait to try it out. Walking Dead has to be me game of the year.
I'm a father that doesn't want to grow up.
Solm 53

Xbox Live: SOLM
Steam: Solm1967

Postby paulhudd » 20 Dec 2012, 15:56

Trials Evolution is a top game and one of my favourites this generation, but this years top game? I may have to give that to Fez.

Shear polish in that game was immense, forget the bugs and glitches, I'm talking attention to detail kind of polish.

So my top 3?

Fez
Trials Evo
Minecraft - another one nobody has mentioned. And Joint 3rd, The Walking Dead for reason above. So few games have been so moving to bring a tear to my eye.

Honourable mentions:
AC3, was breath taking but flawed, a technical marvel and cannot wait until next gen to see what can be done within the universe.
Mark of the Ninja is an awesome game and I really enjoyed getting every achievement in that game, massive sequel please!
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D - no explanation needed.
I Am Alive - very atmospheric but short.
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask - come on, it's Layton! The name of my unborn son lol

Xbox Live: myspacePAULHUDD
PSN ID: Phudd
Wii Code: some long number

Postby TheLastDodo » 20 Dec 2012, 18:29

No love for Borderlands 2?

Same thing happened on Destructoid last week, Borderlands 2 was nominated for almost all their OTY awards and it won nothing, it's just strange when you rarely read it getting any criticism in forums, reviews etc.

I'll try the Spelunky demo out.
CURRENTLY PLAYING Mario Kart 8 - Titanfall
BEST GAMES OF 2014 Titanfall - South Park - Wolfenstein - Valiant Hearts
Twitter @the1paz
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Kev Godfrey » 21 Dec 2012, 11:08

Look i'll be honest i was only a fifa man in the distant past but when a game changes from being something beautiful to being clunky (Which with fifa started in earnest after fifa 99) its time to go elsewhere.Pro ev is a game that you and some mates can sit down at and play for hours on end without tiring of or becoming frustrated with the game.The last fifa was something that of a saturday when the premier league is on we wouldn't play cos its too slow and cumbersome.Being honest after an hour on the beers we stopped playing it cos the console was in danger of being broken by winners and losers alike.Its never that way with pro-ev.Good tunes a few drinks and the often insane commentary is all you need for a cheap lads weekend in your living room.I know there are issues with team names and the like but the gameplay is smooth crisp and you can play the way you want making it possible to follow a 3-3 draw with an astonishing 9-7 with the two same players and teams only changing minor tactics and key personnel a monster of a gameplayers football game thanks for giving it a thumbs up it hardly ever gets the kudos it deserves.
Kev Godfrey 1
New user

Previous