to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

A second look at PS Vita

Your comments on our articles.

On its first Birthday, we offer a thorough twelve-month analysis of the handheld that would be king

Why isn't PS Vita selling? Why has PlayStation shifted less than 5 million units in the first twelve months despite its predecessor building a market of 70 million customers? Sony, unfortunately, does not have the luxury of a clear answer to that question.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: A second look at PS Vita

Postby theideal » 18 Dec 2012, 04:25

I have zero issues with the sticks. I prefer them to the horrible, mushy Dualshock sticks.
Just in case this place goes down suddenly, bookmark...
http://cvgsc.boards.net/
theideal 72

Postby stealth » 18 Dec 2012, 05:06

"And of course, there are many who say that the entire handheld business - something of a boom sector five years ago - has become largely irrelevant in the age of iPhones and Android devices. At a time when gaming has never been more convenient and indeed more affordable than on the smartphone you carry, why pay up for a second device?"

Only morons and cvg say that

3ds,ds,psp are breaking records so you cant say that, its still booming
stealth 47

Postby stealth » 18 Dec 2012, 05:08

stealth wrote:"And of course, there are many who say that the entire handheld business - something of a boom sector five years ago - has become largely irrelevant in the age of iPhones and Android devices. At a time when gaming has never been more convenient and indeed more affordable than on the smartphone you carry, why pay up for a second device?"

Only morons and cvg say that

3ds,ds,psp are breaking records so you cant say that, its still booming

Oh, its rob, no wonder. :roll:
stealth 47

Postby laslowoodbine » 18 Dec 2012, 06:37

dwhlufc wrote:That's probably my biggest stumbling block at the moment. I can scrape the money together for the system and a game but I know I'll need the biggest memory card available down the line so I don't want to waste money on a 4GB card to start with.

Do all the PS1 classics work on the vita?

Do what I did, find a deal with an 8gb card. That'll sort you out fine until you have the money for a 16gb card, as for the the guy who bought a 32gb card for £70 my god man! Did you really need it or were you just being greedy? I found a 8gb card fine for a few games at a time then used my PC or PS3 as an additional storage device to swap them around when needed. Then about a month ago I bought a 16gb card for around £30 which currently has nine games and a few apps on it and I use the old 8gb card for PSONE games and films. I can't imagine anyone needing a 32gb card unless they are trying to mimick a IPOD for carrying their backcatalogue of music with them otherwise a 8gb to 16gb should do you just fine.
laslowoodbine 50

Postby Manjushri » 18 Dec 2012, 11:00

laslowoodbine wrote:
dwhlufc wrote:That's probably my biggest stumbling block at the moment. I can scrape the money together for the system and a game but I know I'll need the biggest memory card available down the line so I don't want to waste money on a 4GB card to start with.

Do all the PS1 classics work on the vita?

Do what I did, find a deal with an 8gb card. That'll sort you out fine until you have the money for a 16gb card, as for the the guy who bought a 32gb card for £70 my god man! Did you really need it or were you just being greedy? I found a 8gb card fine for a few games at a time then used my PC or PS3 as an additional storage device to swap them around when needed. Then about a month ago I bought a 16gb card for around £30 which currently has nine games and a few apps on it and I use the old 8gb card for PSONE games and films. I can't imagine anyone needing a 32gb card unless they are trying to mimick a IPOD for carrying their backcatalogue of music with them otherwise a 8gb to 16gb should do you just fine.

I started with a 16GB card and filled it up pretty quick (although I also download some films to watch - a travel quite abit).
So I upgraded to a 32gb one (and I've got just 5gb left on that). And just use the 16GB for films.
The memory card price is a bitch - but hey.

As for trying to mimick an IPOD? LOL,
My MP3 player is a Cowon, with 32GB onboard plus a 64gb mirco sd card, and it still isn't enough to hold all my music...
I remember the first time I had sex - I kept the receipt.

Groucho Marx
Manjushri 48

PSN ID: Rottingface
Steam: Rottingface

Postby starvinbull » 18 Dec 2012, 14:40

Jingee wrote:I feel one of the problems is that the line-up of 3rd party games feels like a cheap spin-off. I'm sure Assassins Creed Liberation is a fine game, and CVG said do themselves, but would people be more willing to buy that or AC3? The console would fare better if the game lineup was not made up of spin-off titles, but actually closer to the games on the main consoles.

There are actually many games available or soon to be on all major consoles that I would much rather buy for Vita, NFS is a good example.
Some games, like UC:GA are bound to be inferior to their PS3 cousins but are in some ways more comprehensive with better puzzle controls and sniping controls enhancing the formula in ways that make them relevant alternatives.

Gravity Rush could be made on home consoles but feels like a touch of inspiration born out of love for the Vita much like Zack an Wiki did on the Wii or COD did on the 360. I feel that to continue and build on these early successes Sony need to fall back on some solid third party studios like Level 5 or From Software to make exciting new experiences that showcase the abilities of PSV.

And finally, LBV looks better, plays better and has more (and better) features than all it's franchise namesakes. It IS worth buying a Vita for if you already enjoy LBP or want to make levels/games. I'm curently making an RPG, each night whilst in bed I add to it for 30 to 60 minutes. It'll take a few months but some Vita specific features make it easier and simpler to create the game than any other non-coding toolset would.
starvinbull 59

Postby laslowoodbine » 18 Dec 2012, 15:40

Manjushri wrote:
I started with a 16GB card and filled it up pretty quick (although I also download some films to watch - a travel quite abit).
So I upgraded to a 32gb one (and I've got just 5gb left on that). And just use the 16GB for films.
The memory card price is a bitch - but hey.

As for trying to mimick an IPOD? LOL,
My MP3 player is a Cowon, with 32GB onboard plus a 64gb mirco sd card, and it still isn't enough to hold all my music...

I understand each person and yourself may require more than 8gb but it all depends on what you want to use the Vita for. Admittedly the system can be used for films and has a great screen for doing so. However I would consider my card space mainly for gaming and that's what I based my opinion on. But again to each his own, I would recommend you getting Netflix instead of carrying those films though, that way you can essentially have a massive film collection anywhere.
laslowoodbine 50

Postby EvilWaterman » 18 Dec 2012, 17:17

SpandexArmstrong wrote:
EvilWaterman wrote:I have one and its all great bar the thumb sticks, I just cannot get on with them, specifically with FPS games. They are just to sensitives and feel horrible to use, I cant play Uncharted because of it.

I feel the exact same way, I refer to them more as analogue stumps. They are bloody useless.

Finally! Someone who agrees!
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 53

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Postby laslowoodbine » 18 Dec 2012, 22:17

SpandexArmstrong wrote:
Finally! Someone who agrees!

Sorry but I don't they're probably the best analogue sticks Sony has ever made, still not as tight as Nintendo but not far off which is some achievement considering their size. But once again to each their own, sure you'll find a buyer for your Vita though if you don't like it. Hell I'll buy it off you and have two.
laslowoodbine 50

Postby illage2 » 20 Dec 2012, 12:39

I've had no problems using the thumb sticks with FPS games such as Resistance Burning Skies. In fact the whole PS Vita experience has been amazing, I have yet to lodge a single complaint about it, well .... I could complain about the price, but then again I feel it was worth it.

The OS is what makes it an amazing experience. It multitasks like a BAWS and the games for it are amazing. I just hope we see some more 3rd party support for it as I want to see more games for it. Heck maybe in the future we can see a PS3 version of ZombiU that uses the PS Vita as the controller. That would be awesome.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Previous