PSM3 investigates: The 15 game-changing features of the PS4

Your comments on our articles.

CVG's Live PS4 launch centre is go! PlayStation 4? Orbis? We have all the latest

"They say this is the last console, and I am certainly a believer in that", says Nvidia's head of cloud gaming, Phil Eisler.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: PSM3 investigates: The 15 game-changing features of the

Postby only_777 » 13 Dec 2012, 19:30

FlacidDonkeyGuy wrote:
B_G_G wrote:Um. 8 GB of RAM is considered "staggering"?

*must not be elitist PC owner must not be elitist PC owner*

That's... nice.

And 8 GB of high speed low latency RAM costs me £26. For Sony, who will be buying in bulk, not needing the high speeds and embedding rather than buying in sticks, you can cut that price by AT LEAST a third. Its a no brainer.

If the next gen of consoles (sorry Wii U, you just aren't) doesn't have 32mb eDRAM and 8GB of RAM then 1080p/60 with next gen graphical engines will not happen.

Radeon HD 7970. No, no, no, just no. Cost issues aside (its a £300 component guys) the heat and power requirements mean the console would need to be the size of a fridge.

And be a fridge.

+1 I do think however, it will have a Ram slot for the advent of Super HD TV. I also believe the the graphics core will be at the low end of HD7000 series, if it is indeed a APU. Then again to the console masses, the jump will be phenomenal and no doubt it will be "sold at a loss". To be lapped up, just like the guff about "overheads" & Bloated OS's. To detract from the fact the hardware is not as as good a deal as it is made out to be. When you look that these quotes are made by guys under contract tied to console platforms & publishers. If you can't see what anyone with average intelligence knows about business & commerce more fool you.

Another fail comment....go back a page.
The famous Dodgy Kebaab Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/dodgykebaab
only_777 62

Postby Farmboy74 » 13 Dec 2012, 19:35

Like others I don't sound the like of no PS3 backwards compatibility, used software lockout and the potential price. This gen I've owned all three systems at some point before settling on Wii & PS3. Haven't the money to own two systems this gen and is very much wait and see. Even the Wii U is backwards compatible with the Wii, I can't see Sony not making this PS3 compatible as I feel our broadband network isn't geared up for streaming games yet
Farmboy74 53

Postby FlacidDonkeyGuy » 13 Dec 2012, 19:48

only_777 wrote:

That's... nice.

And 8 GB of high speed low latency RAM costs me £26. For Sony, who will be buying in bulk, not needing the high speeds and embedding rather than buying in sticks, you can cut that price by AT LEAST a third. Its a no brainer.

If the next gen of consoles (sorry Wii U, you just aren't) doesn't have 32mb eDRAM and 8GB of RAM then 1080p/60 with next gen graphical engines will not happen.

Radeon HD 7970. No, no, no, just no. Cost issues aside (its a £300 component guys) the heat and power requirements mean the console would need to be the size of a fridge.

And be a fridge.

Utter fail for totally not understanding how a game console works. You'r a typical PC elitist, thinks he knows what he's talking about, but really understands nothing.

You have made the text book mistake and put a consoles hardware spec next to a gaming rig and thinks the console is not as powerful because the numbers are less, but totally forget about the software which is actually driving the hardware.
Ever wondered why a less powerful Mac can out perform a PC? Well because the software is written to a specific hardware set so the hardware is working to its best capability.
It's not code which is optimized for a general set of hardware items which all PC code has to be. As PC's come in all shapes and sizes, game engines like Unreal are very general in the way they are written and hardware is wasted on code that is not actually written with a certain GPU/CPU in mind.

Here is some actual written proof for you just to put an end to this stupid idiotic statement that PC elitists keep making.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-26-assassins-creed-3-pc-system-requirements-chop-windows-xp-support

This is the actual MINIMUM spec for Assassins Creed 3 on PC:

Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core2 Duo E6700 or 3.00 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ or better recommended
RAM: 2 GB (4 GB recommended)
Video Card: 512 MB DirectX 9.0c-compliant with Shader Model 4.0 or higher (see supported list)*
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c-compliant (5.1 surround sound recommended)
DVD-ROM: Dual-layer drive
Hard Drive Space: 17 GB

Now AC3 running at minimum graphic settings does not look anywhere near as good as the PS3/360 version. But just look at what you need. It's a FAR higher than what the PS3 or 360 has, same as the CPU spec.

LOL @ your proof, If you can't figure out why it's funny it's likely you don't know anything about PC's. I am not going to bother to fully correct you as you are just, yet another idiot. First off the PC's 2GB of Ram is there only to run the OS, video card ram total is the same as a console. The processors have fewer cores and are clocked lower, & you can put together that PC for less than it is to buy a console.
FlacidDonkeyGuy 35

Xbox Live: FlacidDonkeyGuy
PSN ID: Raviolay
Steam: Raviolay

Postby only_777 » 13 Dec 2012, 20:08

That's... nice.

And be a fridge.

only_777 wrote:

Utter fail for totally not understanding how a game console works. You'r a typical PC elitist, thinks he knows what he's talking about, but really understands nothing.

You have made the text book mistake and put a consoles hardware spec next to a gaming rig and thinks the console is not as powerful because the numbers are less, but totally forget about the software which is actually driving the hardware.
Ever wondered why a less powerful Mac can out perform a PC? Well because the software is written to a specific hardware set so the hardware is working to its best capability.
It's not code which is optimized for a general set of hardware items which all PC code has to be. As PC's come in all shapes and sizes, game engines like Unreal are very general in the way they are written and hardware is wasted on code that is not actually written with a certain GPU/CPU in mind.

Here is some actual written proof for you just to put an end to this stupid idiotic statement that PC elitists keep making.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-26-assassins-creed-3-pc-system-requirements-chop-windows-xp-support

This is the actual MINIMUM spec for Assassins Creed 3 on PC:

Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core2 Duo E6700 or 3.00 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ or better recommended
RAM: 2 GB (4 GB recommended)
Video Card: 512 MB DirectX 9.0c-compliant with Shader Model 4.0 or higher (see supported list)*
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c-compliant (5.1 surround sound recommended)
DVD-ROM: Dual-layer drive
Hard Drive Space: 17 GB

Now AC3 running at minimum graphic settings does not look anywhere near as good as the PS3/360 version. But just look at what you need. It's a FAR higher than what the PS3 or 360 has, same as the CPU spec.

FlacidDonkeyGuy wrote:LOL @ your proof, If you can't figure out why it's funny it's likely you don't know anything about PC's. I am not going to bother to fully correct you as you are just, yet another idiot. First off the PC's 2GB of Ram is there only to run the OS, video card ram total is the same as a console. The processors have fewer cores and are clocked lower, & you can put together that PC for less than it is to buy a console.

So the Video card card memory spec is 512mb on the PC version. You agree that. Well the PS3 has only 256mb Video ram.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

So check your facts first before failing yet again. But yes, like I said console stats are NOT comparable to PC's because they are totally different types of machines. Only fools like this think you can compare numbers like for like.
The famous Dodgy Kebaab Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/dodgykebaab
only_777 62

Postby Fr33Kye » 13 Dec 2012, 20:25

Yea if this is true i'm out. I prefer the dualpixel rumors, i read those a while back. They are a lot more fun.
Fr33Kye 71

Postby DoucheVader » 13 Dec 2012, 21:07

"Installs and loading bars are the bane of PS3's life, and we can only hope Sony is looking to minimise them, or place all activity in the background. Truth is, Apple's iPad has rewired our expectations: you only need to flip the case and tap an app to start playing games, a process that takes seconds. In contrast, playing a PS3 game, with its slower boot-up and installs, feels intrusive and archaic."

What kind of idiots do you have writing for CVG?

You just got done bragging about Flash Memory being so fast, which is the only kind of storage that iPad has. Comparing iPad load times to consoles and computers is f**king stupid. Yeah people bitch about load screens, but if the game is good it won't prevent people from playing the game. If Sony released a game with 8K Graphics and 20 minute load screens, you know you would all gobble it up. This point is just stupid and wreaks of a complete lack of understanding of Technology.

A 200MB iPad game will always load faster than a 50GB Console game. I am just shocked that the author doesn't seem to know the difference. Maybe making predictions about console technology is not in your wheelhouse if this is an example of your technological prowess.
DoucheVader 19

Postby sonic_uk » 13 Dec 2012, 21:54

Oh, and before you ask, it's currently codenamed 'Orbis' - and yes, we checked.

Except that its called "Thebes" in a report published Tuesday, on this very site.

Augmented reality and motion controls can go do one, as can not allowing you to play secondhand games, although I don't for one minute believe this will be true for fear of a monumental backlash from angry potential customers who will simply go elsewhere. I don't buy secondhand games (except for out of print games for my retro machines), but what happens if I have to buy a new machine 10 years down the line when my Ps4 dies and I cant play the games I have paid for and sitting on my shelf because they have already been "used" once on another console? Ridiculous (and probably illegal too).

Apart from that we know practically nothing about the console. At least with the 360's successor a leaked document popped up which conformed most of the rumours about it were true (at the time of writing anyway).
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby ronaco » 13 Dec 2012, 22:06

all games should be priced at ten quid a game they will sell loads then no one will be bothered about second hand games
ronaco 44

Postby goggy » 13 Dec 2012, 22:09

It's all a load of bollox, just to make you go out and buy the last issue of PSM3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMdcESljqg - Still the greatest E3 reveal ever!!!
goggy 50

Postby sgib1967 » 13 Dec 2012, 22:24

This article was in last months issue.
PSN: mightygib
Favourite Games Right Now:
FIFA 09
Deadspace
Killzone 2
R E 5
sgib1967 45

PSN ID: mightygib

Postby Jack Rudrum » 13 Dec 2012, 22:27

wwinterj wrote:"PS4 won't run PS3 games." "£400 - £500 for the system"
Sure these are all rumours but these two things really put me off. I don't give a crap about cloud gaming, download only titles or anything like that. A retail game and a normal control pad is all I want. The reason to upgrade would be the graphics, physics and so on. However not been able to play my PS3 games on the system makes me want to stay with my PS3 longer and the price is a joke. The reason I don't game on the PC is due to how expensive it is. Nothing in these rumours make me want to jump ship at all. It sounds more bad than good.

Those are the things that concern you? if true... the locking out of used games (although I always buy new) and the locking games to one psn account rumours worry me... infact it might be enough to turn me into a pc gamer I love sonys exclusives but not THAT much....
Jack Rudrum 3
New user

Postby leucocyte » 13 Dec 2012, 22:41

Barca Azul wrote:As for the controller, ive never had issues, yes L2 and R2 needs real triggers for shooters, but thats my only gripe. b

i prefer the L1/R1 combo for shooters. aiming/shooting with L2/R2 just seems awkward to me (as does the LT/RT 360 config). really dislike the layout of where everything is on the 360 controller.. much prefer the dualshock design, though could do with being a bit wider. i have a keypad attached to mine, so it feels bulky enough, and the silver ones are heavier to start with.

i've seen 360-shaped third party controllers for PS3, but never the other way around. :?
leucocyte 55

Postby leucocyte » 13 Dec 2012, 22:46

Barca Azul wrote:
MANYOO4EVA wrote:Will PSN work properly on PS4 this time?

I say this as I have never had a problem with Xbox Live but just could not get the damn PSN to work properly, hence why I ditched the PS3.

Ive never had an issue, apart from when they closed it for a month of course. Ive only NAT 2 and 4mbps line. I know in the beginning some people had issues with certain routers/ISP's due to them restricting certain ports on the router, which meant you only had NAT 3, which is useless.

same here, i have NAT2 and 4-5mbps. i did have a problem with a netgear router (which i bought when my old router crapped out) - it worked fine with a lan cable, but just wouldn't to connect to PSN with wi-fi most of the time. solved it by buying another of my old router model - works perfectly.
leucocyte 55

Postby leucocyte » 13 Dec 2012, 22:52

flash501 wrote:
After a breathless intro, you're just about to enter the stronghold of the first boss when... 'Buy Jokey Cola, only £1.99! Click now!'. It sounds unthinkable, but Sony is investigating plans for in-game adverts.

Back in 2011 it filed a patent for interactive ads where gameplay slows down and you're warned the game is about to stop. After an ad, you get a warning the game is due to begin again.

In 2012, Sony filed another patent for turning TV ads into interactive multiplayer games, possibly using Gaikai cloud streaming tech. Collect ten Victorian wardrobes to end the ad and watch Downton Abbey? Shout 'McDonalds' to proceed? Perhaps not, but Sony is covering all bases.

If and when the £40 retail model collapses, ultra-expensive next-gen games need to recoup their costs somehow. Uncharted 4 In Association With Frosties, anyone? They're grrrreat.

Anyone who's stupid enough to do this deserves to see their console bomb. Which it inevitably would. Imagine completely stopping a game regularly to shove ads down the player's throat. It would be business suicide. Has to be untrue.

i am almost sure this would be in a free-to-play model. if they expect gamers will no longer pay £40 for boxed games, then they have to make cash from other means. i suspect it will use something like the mobile devices model where you can play games for free with a ton of advertising, or pay a premium to have an ad-free experience. thereby catering for people who prefer the old game style experience, and those that are willing to put up with it to play games at much lower cost.
leucocyte 55

Postby leucocyte » 13 Dec 2012, 23:25

darkwarriorblake wrote:So they're hemorrhaging money and their bet is to make a console which does everything in its power to p**s off the people that would buy it? No reselling, tying everying to an account, massive anti-piracy bull and no PS3 backwards compatibility? Best hope these are rumors or Sony is done. I've had a PSX, PS2 and PS3, and no way am I buying a machine that is like the above.

PS3 hasn't had PS2 backwards compatibility since 2008, not since they realised adding an extra $50~100 worth of hardware in to an already expensive console was stupid. it would be an inconvenience, but not the end of the world. i have 3 PS3s anyway, so will probably be able to safely ride out the next gen without backwards compatibility in PS4. quite likely a lot of the PS3 back catalogue will be available via the gaikai digital service - games you purchased on PSN will be available free, and it might be able to recognise the blu-ray copy when it's in the drive, then start it from gaikai. not particularly helpful to those of us with average broadband speeds. sony bought all the cell chip plants a while back, i'm kind of hoping that they can manufacture them these days for peanuts and might include one for backwards compatibility as it would have little impact on costs.

no problem with them trying to stamp-out piracy, or even trying to lock down used games (i haven't bought a single used game for console..). i think that MS and Sony will either both do it, or neither will do it. if only one of them does it, you could say it'll be commercial suicide, however if publishers were to favour that, it might lead to more 'sweeteners' in games to persuade gamers to buy that version. imagine if FIFA had premier league or la liga exclusive to the console which locked used games - i imagine a lot of gamers would overcome their opposition to lockouts. i would expect MS's console to be out first, and sony to follow their policy on handling used games.

locking everything to one console would be a bad plan. i would not expect any drastic change to their current 2 activated consoles policy for PSN downloads/online passes etc.. the whole idea of PS+ cloud storage is so that you can easily transfer your game saves from one console to another. it would make no sense to tie a particular copy of a game to one machine.
leucocyte 55

PreviousNext