to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

PSM3 investigates: The 15 game-changing features of the PS4

Your comments on our articles.

CVG's Live PS4 launch centre is go! PlayStation 4? Orbis? We have all the latest

"They say this is the last console, and I am certainly a believer in that", says Nvidia's head of cloud gaming, Phil Eisler.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: PSM3 investigates: The 15 game-changing features of the

Postby davidjgibson » 13 Dec 2012, 16:09

no mention of Steam - quick search on the net brings old news too - are they going in different directions again?

Steam Big Picture mode is out there now - and its quite good - so where does that leave the Steam Sony angle?
davidjgibson 45

Postby Manjushri » 13 Dec 2012, 16:18

kovin wrote:I'm old, and scared of change and the future

I'm sticking to table tennis.
The graphics and mulitplayer are amazing.
Not to mention the motion senser controller!
I remember the first time I had sex - I kept the receipt.

Groucho Marx
Manjushri 48

PSN ID: Rottingface
Steam: Rottingface

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 13 Dec 2012, 16:21

All of this is very exciting - except for the in-game ads, thanks but no thanks.

I'm no expert when it comes to electronic components, so the amount of RAM doesn't really matter to me for now (didn't prevent me from using my PS3 over my 360 on a 20-to-1 ratio anyway). However, using Gaikai as a cloud-based tool for backward compatibility would be great. Especially if it works on all kinds of devices, not just PS4. And I'd definitely renew my PS+ subscription for a couple more years to get that £99 console.
Stan_Goodspeed 61

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby B_G_G » 13 Dec 2012, 16:23

davidjgibson wrote:no mention of Steam - quick search on the net brings old news too - are they going in different directions again?

Steam Big Picture mode is out there now - and its quite good - so where does that leave the Steam Sony angle?

There isn't one?

It was just for Portal 2.
B_G_G 51

Postby davidjgibson » 13 Dec 2012, 16:37

would be a shame - for some reason I thought they were doing more... possibly just more rumours
davidjgibson 45

Postby jeffery6803 » 13 Dec 2012, 16:49

I am really tired of these developers calling themselves artist and then complaining about used game sells at the same time. This is the only industry that thinks they should get paid twice for something that was already purchased. I can sell a used music cd, a used movie, a painting by Picasso, or a book by Samuel Clemente, and the only one that thinks they are owed something more is the game developers. If you want to be called an artist then know your work will allow you to be compensated one time only. However if you want to make as much money as possible then call yourself a gaming capitalist, because that is what you are.
jeffery6803 31

Postby flash501 » 13 Dec 2012, 16:57

After a breathless intro, you're just about to enter the stronghold of the first boss when... 'Buy Jokey Cola, only £1.99! Click now!'. It sounds unthinkable, but Sony is investigating plans for in-game adverts.

Back in 2011 it filed a patent for interactive ads where gameplay slows down and you're warned the game is about to stop. After an ad, you get a warning the game is due to begin again.

In 2012, Sony filed another patent for turning TV ads into interactive multiplayer games, possibly using Gaikai cloud streaming tech. Collect ten Victorian wardrobes to end the ad and watch Downton Abbey? Shout 'McDonalds' to proceed? Perhaps not, but Sony is covering all bases.

If and when the £40 retail model collapses, ultra-expensive next-gen games need to recoup their costs somehow. Uncharted 4 In Association With Frosties, anyone? They're grrrreat.

Anyone who's stupid enough to do this deserves to see their console bomb. Which it inevitably would. Imagine completely stopping a game regularly to shove ads down the player's throat. It would be business suicide. Has to be untrue.
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby Barca Azul » 13 Dec 2012, 16:59

MPH wrote:I can't see them using a 7970; that'll be over half the cost of the console. Also many other rumours I've read stated it would be a much weaker card in the 7 series line-up, for example the 7770.

300 quid is the retail OEM, plus im guessing they would get a pretty good price break discount for say 50M units, but its still speculation of course.

As for the controller, ive never had issues, yes L2 and R2 needs real triggers for shooters, but thats my only gripe. b
Barca Azul 62

Postby allygray69 » 13 Dec 2012, 17:02

cross game chat is all I ask for, one of the main reasons I enjoy gaming, chatting to mates.
allygray69 57

Xbox Live: GrandTheftAlly
PSN ID: GrandTheftAli
Steam: allygray69

Postby Barca Azul » 13 Dec 2012, 17:03

MANYOO4EVA wrote:Will PSN work properly on PS4 this time?

I say this as I have never had a problem with Xbox Live but just could not get the damn PSN to work properly, hence why I ditched the PS3.

I have never changed my internet only upgrading it to make if faster and it works with everything else perfectly.

Ive never had an issue, apart from when they closed it for a month of course. Ive only NAT 2 and 4mbps line. I know in the beginning some people had issues with certain routers/ISP's due to them restricting certain ports on the router, which meant you only had NAT 3, which is useless.

This was more of a ISP/router issue though, and a quick look on forums shows you how to open the ports on your router to get a better NAT rating.
Barca Azul 62

Postby Barca Azul » 13 Dec 2012, 17:05

My Only issue that I read was the in game ads, they can fook right off. Id rather pay full retail than have ads pop up in the middle of a car chase.
Barca Azul 62

Postby FishyGinger » 13 Dec 2012, 17:08

flash501 wrote:
After a breathless intro, you're just about to enter the stronghold of the first boss when... 'Buy Jokey Cola, only £1.99! Click now!'. It sounds unthinkable, but Sony is investigating plans for in-game adverts.

Back in 2011 it filed a patent for interactive ads where gameplay slows down and you're warned the game is about to stop. After an ad, you get a warning the game is due to begin again.

In 2012, Sony filed another patent for turning TV ads into interactive multiplayer games, possibly using Gaikai cloud streaming tech. Collect ten Victorian wardrobes to end the ad and watch Downton Abbey? Shout 'McDonalds' to proceed? Perhaps not, but Sony is covering all bases.

If and when the £40 retail model collapses, ultra-expensive next-gen games need to recoup their costs somehow. Uncharted 4 In Association With Frosties, anyone? They're grrrreat.

Anyone who's stupid enough to do this deserves to see their console bomb. Which it inevitably would. Imagine completely stopping a game regularly to shove ads down the player's throat. It would be business suicide. Has to be untrue.

Tonight, the world watches in horror as an earthling is eaten alive on network television. This grim scene of unimaginable carnage is brought to you by Fishy Joe's! Try our new Extreme Walrus Juice! 100% fresh-squeezed walrus. Ride the walrus!
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 70

Postby EvilWaterman » 13 Dec 2012, 17:08

Please please please please do not put adverts in-game! That will really p**s me off. Also, for the people who are whining over backwards compatibility, why get a new console if you just wanna play your old games? In fact, just keep the ps3 !
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 54

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Postby divinebeetle » 13 Dec 2012, 17:12

In game ads would be totally immersion breaking.

Reminds me of Dragon Age Origins, with the guy in camp with a bloody great ! over his head, that you couldn't get rid of til you bought the DLC (Wardens Keep?)
divinebeetle 37

Postby stealth » 13 Dec 2012, 17:17

"They say this is the last console, and I am certainly a believer in that", says Nvidia's head of cloud gaming, Phil Eisler."

nobody says it
stealth 47

PreviousNext