to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Xbox World investigates: The 14 game-changing features of Xb

Your comments on our articles.

Mag uses penultimate issue to 'tell you everything we know'

Way back in January, Xbox World revealed everything its sources had to say about the next Xbox, from CPU specs to details on the bizarre augmented reality glasses you'll likely be using in late 2014. Six months later, a leaked Microsoft document confirmed it all.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Xbox World investigates: The 14 game-changing features o

Postby Farmboy74 » 10 Dec 2012, 19:31

Taking a sizable hit on each system is risky especially if it sells slowly, look where Sony are now. If its super expensive I could see Microsoft coming up with two year contracts like you see on mobile phones
Farmboy74 52

Postby toaplan » 10 Dec 2012, 19:32

flyfletch wrote:The next Xbox is going to see MS dominate, i can see it coming, they would need to f**k up big time not to take over completely this time around. They can afford to take a hit on each system unlike the others, so i can see them doing it to get ahead especially with the tech listed here,

I would be VERY surprised if Sony could afford to match this. Again you never know though!...

Sony messed up BIG with the PS3, launching at $599 and with almost no games... But somehow they've managed to slowly turn things around and sell 70 million units. If Sony can just manage a more normal next-gen launch this time around and not go overbudget with the tech, they have all the potential to return to +100M sales.

If M$ can do better, hats off to them. I'm skeptical about whether "taking a hit on each system" would be a prominent feature of the M$ X720 longer term strategy. Currently they are doing everything to emulate (Surface tablet pricing as an example) the success and strategies of Apple, for whom the idea of "taking a hit" is unsound and bonkers.
Last edited by toaplan on 10 Dec 2012, 19:40, edited 2 times in total.
toaplan 73

Postby budge » 10 Dec 2012, 19:39

We'll see nearer the time but my mind is still on the PS4 first.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby MrPirtniw » 10 Dec 2012, 19:43

I'm still perfectly happy with my 360 but these rumours have certainly whet my appetite. Get Halo 5 as a launch title and I will happily go without food until launch in order to pay for it. Maybe.

So I'd better stuff my face with mince pies beforehand.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 70

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby flyfletch » 10 Dec 2012, 19:48

toaplan wrote:
flyfletch wrote:The next Xbox is going to see MS dominate, i can see it coming, they would need to f**k up big time not to take over completely this time around. They can afford to take a hit on each system unlike the others, so i can see them doing it to get ahead especially with the tech listed here,

I would be VERY surprised if Sony could afford to match this. Again you never know though!...

Sony messed up BIG with the PS3, launching at $599 and with almost no games... But somehow they've managed to slowly turn things around and sell 70 million units. If Sony can just manage a more normal next-gen launch this time around and not go overbudget with the tech, they have all the potential to return to +100M sales.

If M$ can do better, hats off to them. I'm skeptical about whether "taking a hit on each system" would be a prominent feature of the M$ X720 longer term strategy. Currently they are doing everything to emulate (Surface tablet pricing as an example) the success and strategies of Apple, for whom the idea of "taking a hit" is unsound and bonkers.

Totally see what you mean, but this is an opportunity MS may never get again to hammer Sony, if they bring out a very high spec system and force Sony's hand then they could actually end up forcing Sony to make an inferior system due to not having the cash to compete. I know if i was Steve Ballmer and has this rare opportunity i would force the issue for the long term gains.

I should say i wouldn't like to see this happen to Sony, these 2 bringing out comparable systems and competing can only be good for us all, but you have to say its an opportunity that for any business that can afford it would be too good to miss.
flyfletch 70

Xbox Live: Flyfletch
PSN ID: FlyFletch

Postby Padua » 10 Dec 2012, 20:10

I'd pay more for a Blu-ray version. Just hope the 720 is backward compatibility so I can catch up with all the 360 games I missed out on :P

I still think that Kinect needs some kind of hand held controller for tactile feedback and making it more flexible for all game types but its freaking awesome for user-interface navigation... and dancing :oops:
Padua 62

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby Ali_ » 10 Dec 2012, 20:13

I'll happily share all that I know about the 720. Of course, I'll be making it all up as well....
Ali_ 56

Postby martinawatson » 10 Dec 2012, 20:36

Actually pretty vague article , AMD has been rumoured to be supplying the chip for both the new playstation and the new xbox 360, AMD however hasnt done too brilliantly recently , stories like this , Which actually suggest that the dev kit is currently Intel and Nvidea not AMD, put an interesting twist on things.
http://hothardware.com/News/Alleged-Xbo ... eal-Deal-/

I reckon the next machine from Microsoft (and possibly playstation) will actually be a half way house before the next console, more powerful than what we have, but not hugely so, certainly enough to take the strain better and inject a bit of life into stale titles like WWE , that really cant do any more with the current hardware.
Still only time will tell with this, I think the major players could change anything at any time , Apple TV still hasn't broken cover, so we should really hold fire until its all actually announced.
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 65

Postby toaplan » 10 Dec 2012, 20:37

flyfletch wrote:Totally see what you mean, but this is an opportunity MS may never get again to hammer Sony, if they bring out a very high spec system and force Sony's hand then they could actually end up forcing Sony to make an inferior system due to not having the cash to compete. I know if i was Steve Ballmer and has this rare opportunity i would force the issue for the long term gains.

I should say i wouldn't like to see this happen to Sony, these 2 bringing out comparable systems and competing can only be good for us all, but you have to say its an opportunity that for any business that can afford it would be too good to miss.

M$ has a lot of problems of its own at the moment. Windows 8 is at risk of becoming a flop and Windows phones and tablets are not gaining enough traction. They really need the Xbox business as a source of optimism and engine of profitability NOW and not in some distant future. That's why I believe M$ will be aiming to sell the X720 at a profit as soon as possible. Feasible, If it's as awesome as it sounds like.
toaplan 73

Postby flyfletch » 10 Dec 2012, 21:30

toaplan wrote:
flyfletch wrote:Totally see what you mean, but this is an opportunity MS may never get again to hammer Sony, if they bring out a very high spec system and force Sony's hand then they could actually end up forcing Sony to make an inferior system due to not having the cash to compete. I know if i was Steve Ballmer and has this rare opportunity i would force the issue for the long term gains.

M$ has a lot of problems of its own at the moment. Windows 8 is at risk of becoming a flop and Windows phones and tablets are not gaining enough traction. They really need the Xbox business as a source of optimism and engine of profitability NOW and not in some distant future. That's why I believe M$ will be aiming to sell the X720 at a profit as soon as possible. Feasible, If it's as awesome as it sounds like.

Since when was Windows 8 at risk of being a flop? Last i read it was selling by the truck load and had actually surpassed Windows 7 sales at this point? Or am i being misinformed?
flyfletch 70

Postby toaplan » 10 Dec 2012, 21:35

flyfletch wrote:Since when was Windows 8 at risk of being a flop? Last i read it was selling by the truck load and had actually surpassed Windows 7 sales at this point? Or am i being misinformed?

"Windows 8 may be a flop

Microsoft was quick to announce last week that there have been 40 million Windows 8 licenses sold in the new operating system's first 30 days of availability. This puts it ahead of Windows 7.

Now, 40 million is a big number, but what does it really mean? Microsoft made upgrading to Windows 8 a lot cheaper than earlier incarnations, knowing that so much was riding on the platform's success.

However, the new operating system hasn't been the catalyst hardware makers were hoping for.

Industry tracker NPD Group reported late last week that Microsoft-powered PC sales through the four weeks ending Nov. 17 fell 21% from the same period a year earlier. Think about that. There was no new operating system last year, yet desktop and laptop sales are tanking since the Oct. 26 release of Windows 8.

The NPD data isn't perfect. It tracks only the major physical retailers. However, wasn't Windows 8 -- with its tablet-friendly ways -- supposed to trigger a spike in sales of desktops and portables with premium touch-screens?

It's just not happening. Folks continue to bypass PCs to buy smartphones and tablets, and those two product lines are dominated by Apple's iOS and Google's Android."
toaplan 73

Postby flyfletch » 10 Dec 2012, 21:37

toaplan wrote:
flyfletch wrote:Since when was Windows 8 at risk of being a flop? Last i read it was selling by the truck load and had actually surpassed Windows 7 sales at this point? Or am i being misinformed?

"Windows 8 may be a flop

Microsoft was quick to announce last week that there have been 40 million Windows 8 licenses sold in the new operating system's first 30 days of availability. This puts it ahead of Windows 7.

Now, 40 million is a big number, but what does it really mean? Microsoft made upgrading to Windows 8 a lot cheaper than earlier incarnations, knowing that so much was riding on the platform's success.

However, the new operating system hasn't been the catalyst hardware makers were hoping for.

Industry tracker NPD Group reported late last week that Microsoft-powered PC sales through the four weeks ending Nov. 17 fell 21% from the same period a year earlier. Think about that. There was no new operating system last year, yet desktop and laptop sales are tanking since the Oct. 26 release of Windows 8.

The NPD data isn't perfect. It tracks only the major physical retailers. However, wasn't Windows 8 -- with its tablet-friendly ways -- supposed to trigger a spike in sales of desktops and portables with premium touch-screens?

It's just not happening. Folks continue to bypass PCs to buy smartphones and tablets, and those two product lines are dominated by Apple's iOS and Google's Android."

The rest of that article also read -

While important, Windows 8 is not a make or break OS for Microsoft. Microsoft allows consumers to downgrade their new Windows 8 Pro PC to Windows 7, which is a good OS for Microsoft to fall back to. Since Windows controls over 90% of the PC market, Microsoft should continue to dominate the PC market regardless of how Windows 8 does on desktops. Also, nearly 80 million PCs shipped in Q3. Even if Windows 8 only sells well on tablets the OS can be considered a benefit to the PC industry because it allows the industry to tap into the growing tablet market. Furthermore, Windows 8 tablets are full PCs and are compatible with legacy Windows programs. Overall, Windows 8 has only been out for a little over a month. The holiday quarter will reveal how unsuccessful or successful Windows 8 has been at reviving the growth of the PC industry.

MS a far from being in any sort of trouble.
flyfletch 70

Postby S-Smith » 10 Dec 2012, 21:45

They have copied everything SONY have done so god knows why they can come up with next lol
S-Smith 41

Postby flyfletch » 10 Dec 2012, 21:47

S-Smith wrote:They have copied everything SONY have done so god knows why they can come up with next lol

Sure they have :roll:
flyfletch 70

Postby goggy » 10 Dec 2012, 21:54

The next Xbox will hit shelves in November 2013 and the best developers in the world are already working on it. Rare has Kinect Sports 3, Bungie has Destiny, Lionhead has the long-rumoured Fable MMO, 343 has Halo 5, DICE has Battlefield 4, and Turn 10 has Forza 5, and you won't have to wait long to see them.

This bit made me laugh the most.

Whoopie doo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMdcESljqg - Still the greatest E3 reveal ever!!!
goggy 50

PreviousNext