to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Wii U: The launch verdict

Your comments on our articles.

Nintendo's new console aims to satisfy every audience - but is it worth purchasing before Christmas?

Targeting the untapped potential of casual gaming masses made the Wii the best selling home console in Nintendo's decorated history. In the process, core gamers shifted attentions away from the Japanese giant - but Nintendo wants them back. Or, at least, we think it does.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Wii U: The launch verdict

Postby CatfishMurphy » 01 Dec 2012, 13:43

Can we all just agree that this is NINTENDO's next gen console? They're not really in competition proper with Sony and Microsoft anymore anyway and it should probably just be judged on its own merits as a Nintendo console.

Furthermore, I can't help but feel that early adoption of a console is a bit of a mugs' game; you're at the point the system's lifespan where it'll cost the most, have the most problems and be able to do the least with it. I always like to pick up a console after a few years once it has a handful of truly essential titles and developers have had at least one development cycle on it so their content isn't crawling with bugs anymore - or at least, as much.

The paradox being of course that if people didn't buy the console at launch then it'll never be able to reach its golden age that I crave. So I guess to all you early adopters, I salute you (and sorry about the mugs thing).
CatfishMurphy 38

Postby stealth » 01 Dec 2012, 13:47

of course its next gen ( really this gen now with 3ds and vita)
stealth 47

Postby rip_it_up » 01 Dec 2012, 13:53

ricflair wrote:
Up to 2 terabytes of data is supported via external USB hard drives, however the drive must be specifically formatted for Wii U and games cannot run from them.
Whats the point then? Surely if you need that amount of memory then its gonna be for downloadable games or DLC.

I think that's wrong. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure Nintendo have said adding an extra drive basically increases the Wii U's main memory and basically anything that can be run off the main memory can be run off the HDD.

If it's not wrong, then what's the point? Seeing as you can't (at least at the moment) install music, videos etc.[/quote]
Games can run off a hdd. the usb drive in question will be formatted just for wii-u and cannot be used with a pc.
im sure in the future someone will write a program on pc, so will can broswe the hdd, like they did with wii (wbfs)
rip_it_up 49

Postby rip_it_up » 01 Dec 2012, 14:00

shadowsblaze wrote:
geardley wrote:does anyone know if your wii points can cross over to the wii u?

Received my Wii U yesterday. While your wii points can be transferred to your new console, you will only be able to use them to purchase the Wii Virtual Console games. They cannot be used to buy games specifically for the Wii U.

Though I do like the interface, setting up the internet connection was an absolute nightmare. This is the first console I've had where the console would not link up to my router (3DS, 360 and the original Wii all hooked up fine). Found out alot of others are having the same issue. The only way to overcome it is to add your router in manually, which means having to find the DNS, subnet settings, etc and having to allocate a fixed ip address. Would have thought Nintendo would have identified and fixed this issue before release.

Virgin media super hub? me 2 Absolute pain in the ass, feel sorry for the christmas kids with the 'not tech savvy parents. r37 is comming out for the superhub soon. i hope that fixes the issue, because nintendo cant fix it untill theirs a internet connection, or a system update on the disk.
rip_it_up 49

Postby geardley » 01 Dec 2012, 16:38

shadowsblaze wrote:
geardley wrote:does anyone know if your wii points can cross over to the wii u?

Received my Wii U yesterday. While your wii points can be transferred to your new console, you will only be able to use them to purchase the Wii Virtual Console games. They cannot be used to buy games specifically for the Wii U.

Though I do like the interface, setting up the internet connection was an absolute nightmare. This is the first console I've had where the console would not link up to my router (3DS, 360 and the original Wii all hooked up fine). Found out alot of others are having the same issue. The only way to overcome it is to add your router in manually, which means having to find the DNS, subnet settings, etc and having to allocate a fixed ip address. Would have thought Nintendo would have identified and fixed this issue before release.

cheers.
We are premier league.
geardley 54

Postby goggy » 01 Dec 2012, 16:48

Miiverse is just genius!

Miiverse>Facebook
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMdcESljqg - Still the greatest E3 reveal ever!!!
goggy 50

Postby geardley » 01 Dec 2012, 16:48

Jraptor59 wrote:Heres my launch verdict. ANY COMPANY release a console with better specs than any old (7 years now) console. PC's make the current consoles look like garbage (i7 with NVidia 680). Give us what we want and you can rule the world at this point. If Nintendo had released a current tech machine, with some good launch titles, it could have taken over. Launching a machine with specs lower than a 7 YEAR OLD console? They deserve to sink.

the wii was woefully underpowered compared to the xbox and ps3,but it proved to be so popular.ive been playing games since the 1980's,its not all about power.got my daughter one for christmas,im sure she'll enjoy it.i'll admit its pricy but thats what you get when you have kids lol.
We are premier league.
geardley 54

Postby Balladeer » 01 Dec 2012, 17:05

goggy wrote:Miiverse is just genius!

Miiverse>Facebook

Pretty much anything on the Internet > Facebook, but I am enjoying Miiverse. If anyone sees a Navi-themed Trine drawing doing the rounds, that's mine. Unless it's good, in which case it's someone else's.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby thelazyone » 02 Dec 2012, 04:04

Bought one on launch day to give to my brother for xmas. Its just staring at me, wanting me to open it and play it.

I feel like frodo. :|
"Video Games are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock 'N' Roll" - Shigeru Miyamoto
thelazyone 57

Xbox Live: HyperSinperPOW
PSN ID: Googie_1
Wii Code: WiiU- 2hathuddas

Postby HelloLadies » 02 Dec 2012, 07:33

thelazyone wrote:Bought one on launch day to give to my brother for xmas. Its just staring at me, wanting me to open it and play it.

I feel like frodo. :|

I can imagine the rationalisation process.

"I better make sure everything is in the box."

"Good its all there, better make sure it powers up ok... yeah that's it."

"Well it wouldn't be a very good present if it doesn't play games properly, better pop one in to see if the control is working as it should."
HelloLadies 50

Postby timewarp1 » 02 Dec 2012, 12:51

Wow, they got Heston Blumenthal to introduce Wii Universe!
timewarp1 46

Postby aj101 » 02 Dec 2012, 13:09

So far I've played Nintendo Land and Nana Assault Neo and tooled around the system using the browser, youtube app, and Miiverse (besides everything else) and I'm pretty blown away. Anyone writing the console off or arguing derogatively that it's current gen is too stupid to realise they're pissing into the wind. Granted there aren't the breadth and depth of titles to justify a day one purchase for most but the Wii U is tight and it's only going to evolve and get better like the other systems have in the previous gen.

The things I've been most impressed with so far:
- Nintendo Land. Five (previously four) friends yelling and screaming in one living room is one of the best aspects of console gaming for me. The Wii U and this game are a shining example of just how awesome it can be and how asymmetrical gameplay takes competition and collaboration into new and unexplored territory.
- The browser. Slick, so very slick. I'm not sure how they got HTML5 to run so smoothly but it's buttery creamy on the Wii U and on top of the incredibly well thought out navigation I'm never going to consult my computer or phone again when looking for anything on the web while the tv is on. Anyone held the shoulder buttons down and tilted the gamepad? It's just well done.
- Miiverse. Super ambitious and really involving having the hordes of Mii's run onto your screen with their posts and discussions popping up to let you know this is a living, breathing eco system.
- The Wii U and Gamepad :D The console is half the size of my brother's PS3 Slim and more powerful. The Gamepad is great to hold and is almost revolutionary in how it has brought together so many different evolutions in technology. It's not going to graphically beat the next iterations of the PS or Xbox but from what I've seen today that shouldn't be a problem. This is in a different league compared to the Wii and I don't think the same comparison will apply from the Wii, PS3/Xbox360 to the Wii U/PS+/Xbox+.

Anyway, I hope the rest of you who have bought one have enjoyed it off the bat as much as I have! Anyone else trashing the system, you're wasting time and breath and you'll miss out on some killer titles.

*Plus if anyone is wondering Nano Assault Neo works incredibly well with two players and is a worthy purchase :D
aj101 52

Postby goggy » 02 Dec 2012, 15:11

aj101 wrote:So far I've played Nintendo Land and Nana Assault Neo and tooled around the system using the browser, youtube app, and Miiverse (besides everything else) and I'm pretty blown away. Anyone writing the console off or arguing derogatively that it's current gen is too stupid to realise they're pissing into the wind. Granted there aren't the breadth and depth of titles to justify a day one purchase for most but the Wii U is tight and it's only going to evolve and get better like the other systems have in the previous gen.

The things I've been most impressed with so far:
- Nintendo Land. Five (previously four) friends yelling and screaming in one living room is one of the best aspects of console gaming for me. The Wii U and this game are a shining example of just how awesome it can be and how asymmetrical gameplay takes competition and collaboration into new and unexplored territory.
- The browser. Slick, so very slick. I'm not sure how they got HTML5 to run so smoothly but it's buttery creamy on the Wii U and on top of the incredibly well thought out navigation I'm never going to consult my computer or phone again when looking for anything on the web while the tv is on. Anyone held the shoulder buttons down and tilted the gamepad? It's just well done.
- Miiverse. Super ambitious and really involving having the hordes of Mii's run onto your screen with their posts and discussions popping up to let you know this is a living, breathing eco system.
- The Wii U and Gamepad :D The console is half the size of my brother's PS3 Slim and more powerful. The Gamepad is great to hold and is almost revolutionary in how it has brought together so many different evolutions in technology. It's not going to graphically beat the next iterations of the PS or Xbox but from what I've seen today that shouldn't be a problem. This is in a different league compared to the Wii and I don't think the same comparison will apply from the Wii, PS3/Xbox360 to the Wii U/PS+/Xbox+.

Anyway, I hope the rest of you who have bought one have enjoyed it off the bat as much as I have! Anyone else trashing the system, you're wasting time and breath and you'll miss out on some killer titles.

*Plus if anyone is wondering Nano Assault Neo works incredibly well with two players and is a worthy purchase :D

Amen bother, amen.

Completely agree with all of the above.

Its just so good. I think people really need to have a go on it to understand how good it actually is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMdcESljqg - Still the greatest E3 reveal ever!!!
goggy 50

Postby kimoak » 02 Dec 2012, 15:15

I personally love the controller. After updating, I must have spent about 3 hours just messing with the pad and console before I even put a game on. I have been toying with the idea of getting a tablet to watch netflix on, but this sealed the deal for me. The Netflix app is great. The UI could do with tinkering a bit, but at least I don't need to get a dedicated pad to watch films on the couch when the TV is already in use. As someone has said above, the browser is great also. A decent working browser on a console! Yay! :)
Optimus Prime: I want you to go in that bag, and find my wallet.
Megatron: Which one is it?
Optimus Prime: It's the one that says Bad motherf**ker
kimoak 57

Re: Wii U: The launch verdict; yesterdays tech today!

Postby Jraptor59 » 02 Dec 2012, 20:55

Lets see, do I want to spend hundreds of dollars on a "new" console that is, in some ways, inferior to the 360 and PS3, or do I want to wait for the real next gen system?
Jraptor59 9
New user

PreviousNext