to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Wii U: The launch verdict

Your comments on our articles.

Nintendo's new console aims to satisfy every audience - but is it worth purchasing before Christmas?

Targeting the untapped potential of casual gaming masses made the Wii the best selling home console in Nintendo's decorated history. In the process, core gamers shifted attentions away from the Japanese giant - but Nintendo wants them back. Or, at least, we think it does.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Wii U: The launch verdict

Postby Simon Carlin » 30 Nov 2012, 17:50

I want one but not right now.

As for the next gen debate, it's easy: it kind of is and kind of isn't.

It's not powered in respect of what would be accepted of a next generation games console but it's released in the era coming into the next gen, so it'll be a part of that when the 360 and the PS3 are succeeded.

Although, in all honesty, the next gen is going to be even less traditional than the one we're coming to the end of; if proposed business models are to be believed.
Simon Carlin 25

Postby stealth » 30 Nov 2012, 17:51

sigourney beaver wrote:Had mine come today and I've got to say I'm really enjoying it (especially after only paying £200 for the premium eddition thank you for that balls up amazon) played zombiu the most pretty good and probs won't play nintendo land too much, just waiting for a decent game that isn't already out on another platform now

zombie u, scribblenauts, nintendo land, mario arent on other platforms
stealth 47

Postby Simon Carlin » 30 Nov 2012, 18:00

I think he means a big name spectacular.
Simon Carlin 25

Postby brownboy90 » 30 Nov 2012, 18:44

I got mine yesterday morning at 8:30am and didn't switch it off until 11:30pm.... I think it's great! I just need to get a HDTV now.....
brownboy90 22

Postby theideal » 30 Nov 2012, 20:01

People will argue over anything. Does it really matter what constitutes a 'gen'?
It varies depending on who you're talking to anyway, it may be technically one thing but commonly another, everyone seems to have their own interpretation. For example; Internally here, at the company I work for, all 'Next Gen' is is another category to lump a couple of similar consoles together to make referencing them easier. In the last 'gen' it just referred to 360 and PS3, Wii was it's own thing. It was originally Next Gen, Wii, handhelds. For years now it's been HD, Wii, handhelds. It may as well be Group 1, Group 2 and Group 3. Who cares?
Just in case this place goes down suddenly, bookmark...
http://cvgsc.boards.net/
theideal 72

Postby The_KFD_Case » 30 Nov 2012, 20:02

toaplan wrote:
I'd say the tech debates were just as lively back then... Was the PC Engine a "true" 16-bit console and thus next-gen, or essentially just a tuned-up 8-bit console? Was the Neo Geo a "24-bit" console? Why was the SNES more powerful than the Megadrive, even though the SNES had a slower CPU? "Blast processing" - WTF?

All of the many 16-bit systems ranging from the mid-'80s launched Amiga / Atari ST to the MegaCD in the early '90s were considered part of the same "16-bit" generation. The Sega Master System was released in 1985, but was always considered to belong to the previous 8-bit generation, since it was technically undoubtedly an 8-bit machine.

I think technically the Wii U could be said to belong to the same generation as the PS3 & X360, as it most likely is much closer in specs to those machines than it will be to the Orbis & Durango. The term next-gen has tended to imply a clear-cut and very significant increase in graphical power - taking it to a whole new level.

This. All of it.
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby The_KFD_Case » 30 Nov 2012, 20:04

Spider82 wrote:I am an Xbox and PS owner peeking over the fence. Hoping to get a glimpse of something shiny and seductive, all I see is a Wii HD without the fun....7 years late I might add.

Remove the "PS owner" bit and I'm right there with you. Not impressed at all with what I've seen and read of the WiiU so far. Had entertained the notion that the WiiU might be a mighty breath of fresh air to the console gaming market earlier this year, yet I no longer maintain that notion. Roll on MS and Sony "next-gen" consoles!
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby stealth » 30 Nov 2012, 20:23

theideal wrote:People will argue over anything. Does it really matter what constitutes a 'gen'?
It varies depending on who you're talking to anyway, it may be technically one thing but commonly another, everyone seems to have their own interpretation. For example; Internally here, at the company I work for, all 'Next Gen' is is another category to lump a couple of similar consoles together to make referencing them easier. In the last 'gen' it just referred to 360 and PS3, Wii was it's own thing. It was originally Next Gen, Wii, handhelds. For years now it's been HD, Wii, handhelds. It may as well be Group 1, Group 2 and Group 3. Who cares?

no it doesnt matter.

I like how gamefaqs/gamerankings does it ( the site I currently am a slave to)
stealth 47

Postby geardley » 30 Nov 2012, 21:08

does anyone know if your wii points can cross over to the wii u?
We are premier league.
geardley 54

Postby stealth » 30 Nov 2012, 21:14

geardley wrote:does anyone know if your wii points can cross over to the wii u?

the lire converts
stealth 47

Postby stormchasing1000 » 30 Nov 2012, 21:21

well i've been playing it last few hours once all updated,great console mario U peeps stop moaning and enjoying seeing as i've,played all 2d mario games whoever said its like mario world is spot on.any seasoned mario veteran will be able to tell the music even some set up of maps and levels,its like doing a puzzle all the way, as for the graphic great deph in the colour not much black or grey like u get in some game pure colour :D Mario U 9/10 easy,browser much better than it the past,not tried everything but Nintendo for the next 5 years or so is going to be just fine :D
stormchasing1000 44

Postby runadumb » 30 Nov 2012, 22:37

stealth wrote:
Barry316 wrote:It was easier when the bloody consoles said 16bit. I had no idea what it all meant but by crikey it didn't half look good on the box.

It was easier when nobody cared and we all just gamed with reckless abandon

People ALWAYS CARED! You take that back!
runadumb 61

Postby rip_it_up » 30 Nov 2012, 22:55

The more I dabble in the wiiu, the more i love it, Using the browser now to type this effortlessly.
One thing i dont like, or haven't figured out how to do is use the gamepads earphone jack for all sounds. currently i cant use the tv speakers to play zombiU and want all sound via the gamepad.
Also only one earphone works on one pair, and the second pair both left-right are really quiet.. miiverse = awesome
rip_it_up 49

Postby stealth » 30 Nov 2012, 23:06

who said anything about not caring? Its more about being a free spirit and just gaming without worrying about this bs
stealth 47

Postby goggy » 30 Nov 2012, 23:45

stormchasing1000 wrote:well i've been playing it last few hours once all updated,great console mario U peeps stop moaning and enjoying seeing as i've,played all 2d mario games whoever said its like mario world is spot on.any seasoned mario veteran will be able to tell the music even some set up of maps and levels,its like doing a puzzle all the way, as for the graphic great deph in the colour not much black or grey like u get in some game pure colour :D Mario U 9/10 easy,browser much better than it the past,not tried everything but Nintendo for the next 5 years or so is going to be just fine :D

I'm also finding it hugely enjoyable. Most of the people moaning on here haven't actually got one, they're just a bit jealous cause Nintendo have their next gen console out.

Have to say, the screen on the gamepad is really nice, a lot better than i thought it would be, and Miiverse is just so cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMdcESljqg - Still the greatest E3 reveal ever!!!
goggy 50

PreviousNext