to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Wii U: The launch verdict

Your comments on our articles.

Nintendo's new console aims to satisfy every audience - but is it worth purchasing before Christmas?

Targeting the untapped potential of casual gaming masses made the Wii the best selling home console in Nintendo's decorated history. In the process, core gamers shifted attentions away from the Japanese giant - but Nintendo wants them back. Or, at least, we think it does.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Wii U: The launch verdict

Postby stealth » 30 Nov 2012, 16:22

the only way that the wii u is current gen is the same way the 3ds, and vita are.
stealth 47

Postby Spider82 » 30 Nov 2012, 16:25

I am an Xbox and PS owner peeking over the fence. Hoping to get a glimpse of something shiny and seductive, all I see is a Wii HD without the fun....7 years late I might add.
Spider82 37

Postby BeansOnToast » 30 Nov 2012, 16:26

I've gone off the idea of buying a Wii U for the moment.

What I would like to see Nintendo (and third parties perhaps) do for the Wii U is bring out lots of massive open world adventure games that you can explore and get lost in. Forget about the current obsession with photorealistic textures, just create some big new worlds for us to run around in for 60+ hours.
BeansOnToast 29

Postby toaplan » 30 Nov 2012, 16:26

stealth wrote:Tended and what actually is are 2 seperate issues.

I think grouping consoles in generations by date of release or by tech specs are both possible methods, but the way the term "next-gen" is commonly used, tends to favour the latter method.
toaplan 74

Postby stealth » 30 Nov 2012, 16:35

Every site ive seen groups them by product line.
stealth 47

Postby ensabahnur » 30 Nov 2012, 16:47

Up to 2 terabytes of data is supported via external USB hard drives, however the drive must be specifically formatted for Wii U and games cannot run from them.
Whats the point then? Surely if you need that amount of memory then its gonna be for downloadable games or DLC.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby paperywhiteboy » 30 Nov 2012, 16:50

stealth wrote:
Barry316 wrote:It was easier when the bloody consoles said 16bit. I had no idea what it all meant but by crikey it didn't half look good on the box.

It was easier when nobody cared and we all just gamed with reckless abandon

That's a fantasy. Speccy V BBC, Amiga V Commodore, NES V Master Systems, etc, etc. Non-allegiance to any one system has always been for the minority.
paperywhiteboy 53

PSN ID: PETRIMOV

Postby Stryker89 » 30 Nov 2012, 16:52

BeansOnToast wrote:I've gone off the idea of buying a Wii U for the moment.

What I would like to see Nintendo (and third parties perhaps) do for the Wii U is bring out lots of massive open world adventure games that you can explore and get lost in. Forget about the current obsession with photorealistic textures, just create some big new worlds for us to run around in for 60+ hours.

I'm eventually hoping for something along the lines of the OASIS from the book Ready Player One. A few decades away I imagine, but still... Read this book if you haven't already, it's fantastic.
Stryker89 60

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby toaplan » 30 Nov 2012, 16:55

stealth wrote:Every site ive seen groups them by product line.

How would you place Ouya "by product line", if it launches in Spring with the Tegra 3 SoC? Current gen or next gen? Technically I'd have to say it's last gen i.e. belongs to the Dreamcast/PS2/GC/Xbox generation.
toaplan 74

Postby stealth » 30 Nov 2012, 17:02

toaplan wrote:
stealth wrote:Every site ive seen groups them by product line.

How would you place Ouya "by product line", if it launches in Spring with the Tegra 3 SoC? Current gen or next gen? Technically I'd have to say it's last gen i.e. belongs to the Dreamcast/PS2/GC/Xbox generation.

Easy, its this gen.

Last gen consisted of ds, psp, wii, ps3, 360

Is there a parity of spec there?

F NO. But were they all the next product line that came out during the same "era"? Yep.

Thats why for me? This 8th gen consists of wii u, 3ds, vita, ps4, 720, and whatever other systems you want like ouya ( in this scenerio the wonderswan or neo geo of this gen)
stealth 47

Postby toaplan » 30 Nov 2012, 17:17

^ That's one way to do the classification, although one that seems incomplete to me. When I say that I'm looking forward to next-gen consoles, I certainly don't mean the Ouya at all, and it doesn't seem right to call it a next-gen console.
toaplan 74

Postby stealth » 30 Nov 2012, 17:19

Thats funny because the spec way seems incomplete to me

Especially since this entire gen Ive been playing nothing but ds.
stealth 47

Postby sigourney beaver » 30 Nov 2012, 17:25

Had mine come today and I've got to say I'm really enjoying it (especially after only paying £200 for the premium eddition thank you for that balls up amazon) played zombiu the most pretty good and probs won't play nintendo land too much, just waiting for a decent game that isn't already out on another platform now
sigourney beaver 44

Postby wwinterj » 30 Nov 2012, 17:39

sigourney beaver wrote:just waiting for a decent game that isn't already out on another platform now

This will decide if and when I get a Wii U not just the price. The reason I own all 3 current gen consoles is because of the exclusive games. Nothing more, nothing less and the same will happen next gen. The Wii U naturally doesn't warrant me buying one just yet due to the lack of games. I'll wait at least a year and by then the price will drop and more games will be relevant to my interest. The same will happen with the Nextbox and PS4. I'm been more sensible this time around and not rushing out and buying a console day one like I've done in the past.
wwinterj 50

Xbox Live: wwinterj
PSN ID: wwinterj

Postby rip_it_up » 30 Nov 2012, 17:41

sigourney beaver wrote:Had mine come today and I've got to say I'm really enjoying it (especially after only paying £200 for the premium eddition thank you for that balls up amazon) played zombiu the most pretty good and probs won't play nintendo land too much, just waiting for a decent game that isn't already out on another platform now

Im amazed how good the browser is. This has saved me buying a tablet for that purpose, works everywhere in my 3 bed semi 2 apart from the hallway for some reason.
rip_it_up 49

PreviousNext