to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

What's wrong with Metro?

Your comments on our articles.

One year and one major update later, 360's latest Dashboard interface still isn't up to scratch. Here's why...

Time flies. It's been a full 12 months since the Metro Dashboard arrived on Xbox 360. There was an update this October, but it didn't fix the same problems many CVG readers, Redditors and Xbox.com forumites have had with Microsoft's next-generation user interface. One year since its release, and the Metro experiment is regarded by many as a failure.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: What's wrong with Metro?

Postby flyfletch » 24 Nov 2012, 11:16

adgr19 wrote: They removed inside xbox. I understand that Microsoft are out to make money but they seem to pissing customers off with their aggressive $ chasing lately. i don't think pissing people off gets you anywhere in the long run, and i don't think it should. What they should have done is say 'live is free if you don't mind adverts' but to give you no choice or even a say in what they do with the service you pay for is a little s**tty, no?

With windows 8 they have started the process of taking choice away from you again by slowly integrating their version of an app store. Windows 9 or 10 may only let you install games brought from it.

These things go completely against why we paid for gold membership and why we all went and installed windows 7.

Steam and psn are both better value and i don't believe xbox live is any more stable than them.

Im not disputing anything your saying, what im saying is that its not as bad as people make it out to be, i for one would be furious if the ads got in the way of my gaming and my enjoyment of Netflix or Sky or anything else i use on live, the fact is it doesnt.

Regarding windows 8, i have it, and im yet to find anything making me install games directly though the app store, the reason developers are giving off is because they will have to go through a certification process ensuring a certain amount of quality before a game can be installed through the windows 8 app store, now if they offered quality products in the first place im sure there wouldnt be an issue.

The other thing is they dont have to go through the app store, they can go via Steam, Origin or via high street with their games, Windows 8 will not in any way stop me or anyone using games in those 3 different scenarios i just mentioned. Its all bluster from developers afraid of MS getting in on their action, the reality is very different.

And regarding removing features from live, your right i forgot about that, i loved inside Xbox and the others that were removed, on a plus note they have released an IGN and Gamespot app to replace them, both of them are quite good.

As for the stability of Live, yes Steam is very stable like live, but as for the PSN, it seems to be off every other week for maintenance of some sort, but i put up with it becauase its free (and im a PS + subscriber) but if i had to pay for the whole experience i would take my money away, the same as i would do if Live was constantly down, which it is not, i can only remember once in the last year...
flyfletch 71

Postby Joe90_Remy700 » 24 Nov 2012, 12:52

inside xbox was the best. ok, some vids are up on oxm like log in a dress, but wish that stuff was still on xbox its always good for a giggle
Joe90_Remy700 47

Xbox Live: heart attak joe
PSN ID: heart_attak_joe

Postby Joe90_Remy700 » 24 Nov 2012, 12:53

btw is there any way i can stop these fekking underlined words with the ad windows appearing? annoying the shyte out of me. for example, "log in" is underlined and makes the whole sentence appear fewked up
Joe90_Remy700 47

Xbox Live: heart attak joe
PSN ID: heart_attak_joe

Postby Robzy1990 » 24 Nov 2012, 13:57

f**k metro!

Mon' The Blades! :twisted:
Robzy1990 38

Postby CatfishMurphy » 24 Nov 2012, 15:25

Wow! A whole lot of "first world" problems, principals and complaints on here.
CatfishMurphy 38

Postby sonic_uk » 24 Nov 2012, 15:49

flyfletch wrote:
illage2 wrote:Yeah I gave Windows 8 a little trial last week while I was in PC world, the classic desktop is still there, but it's hidden under the metro interface. I also agree having ads on a paid service is out of order.

It is indeed, you just press a button called desktop on the metro interface and bang, your there. I have mine set up to open a desktop version of Chrome as soon as i click on the chrome icon. I really like it. :D
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby sonic_uk » 24 Nov 2012, 15:56

flyfletch wrote:
illage2 wrote:Yeah I gave Windows 8 a little trial last week while I was in PC world, the classic desktop is still there, but it's hidden under the metro interface. I also agree having ads on a paid service is out of order.

It is indeed, you just press a button called desktop on the metro interface and bang, your there. I have mine set up to open a desktop version of Chrome as soon as i click on the chrome icon. I really like it. :D

Yep, except the start buttons gone...and the option to create a system image on disc, and you can't get into safe mode without some serious tweaking (if your Pc can boot halfway into windows 8 recovery before it crashes due to the very reason you're trying to access safe mode in the first place - to sort it out), and there is no option to boot straight into desktop, and you can't change your wallpaper on the "start" screen (the very point in having a Pc is it is customisable no?), and a whole lot of other things I can't be bothered to mention. I told the Microsoft rep exactly what I thought of Windows 8 when he came in the other day (I work as a computer technician). God it felt good! He said he would feed it back to Microsoft, I doubt he will tbh, they've probably heard it all before from the other millions of disgruntled Windows 8 users (and potential, but now lost customers).

Most of the above you can fix with unofficial downloads and patches but you run the risk of getting viruses etc and the point is you shouldn't have to risk downloading unofficial stuff just to make the software you've bought work properly.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby divinebeetle » 24 Nov 2012, 16:05

I just find the Win 8 metro interface awkward and unnecessary on a desktop imo

Can't see how it improves my experience over the old menu
divinebeetle 37

Postby flyfletch » 24 Nov 2012, 18:11

sonic_uk wrote: Yep, except the start buttons gone...and the option to create a system image on disc, and you can't get into safe mode without some serious tweaking (if your Pc can boot halfway into windows 8 recovery before it crashes due to the very reason you're trying to access safe mode in the first place - to sort it out), and there is no option to boot straight into desktop, and you can't change your wallpaper on the "start" screen (the very point in having a Pc is it is customisable no?), and a whole lot of other things I can't be bothered to mention. I told the Microsoft rep exactly what I thought of Windows 8 when he came in the other day (I work as a computer technician). God it felt good! He said he would feed it back to Microsoft, I doubt he will tbh, they've probably heard it all before from the other millions of disgruntled Windows 8 users (and potential, but now lost customers).

Most of the above you can fix with unofficial downloads and patches but you run the risk of getting viruses etc and the point is you shouldn't have to risk downloading unofficial stuff just to make the software you've bought work properly.

Your right, its not perfect and it should have been, but i have a feeling MS will give us an update so we can do what you have mentioned above. I actually like the metro interface, i really like having apps that i can click on for certain things, it makes it quite handy really, not having to search for certain stuff and have it on hand is a good thing in my eyes.
flyfletch 71

Postby Bambis Dad » 24 Nov 2012, 19:33

I'm a man of few words but apologists should just f**k off and die. You are scum of the lowest order and should be brutally raped.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby flyfletch » 24 Nov 2012, 19:46

Bambis Dad wrote:I'm a man of few words but apologists should just f**k off and die. You are scum of the lowest order and should be brutally raped.

lol :lol:
flyfletch 71

Postby delmariachi » 24 Nov 2012, 21:24

The ads don't interrupt anything i'm doing, nor make it difficult for me to find anything.

The only thing ad relevant that annoys is when on the rare times I use a "music video" app, I'm shown an ad every 2-3 songs, that as a gold subscriber annoys me but thankfully I have my PC running thru to my tv and a wireless keyboard, so i just look via that instead... As for some of the cobblers posted about raising the price of live.. I picked up 14 months sub online for 26 quid in June this year... £1.85 per month for a generally better online experience, ads or not, I'm happy with that...
delmariachi 47

Xbox Live: delmariachi
Steam: delmariachi

Postby Sleepaphobic » 25 Nov 2012, 00:30

CatfishMurphy wrote:Wow! A whole lot of "first world" problems, principals and complaints on here.
I'll make sure to tell some starving kids to post their problems some time just for you.

The best interface for me was the one that was basically xmb with some colour. Most things were in logical locations.
Some cheerleader at school or hot secretary at the office may not think you are cool but let’s be real, those very same bitches don’t love bacon and still use IE to explore the web.
Sleepaphobic 52

Xbox Live: Sleepaphobic
PSN ID: Sleepaphobic
Steam: Sleepaphobic

Postby Windowlicker79 » 25 Nov 2012, 20:32

The continuously streaming adverts are the worst. You move the cursor over them and they scare the s**t out of you with a blast of advertising noise. I hate that.
Windowlicker79 55

Xbox Live: windowlicker79

Postby FishyGinger » 26 Nov 2012, 10:54

Bambis Dad wrote:@ Fly I do watch and read an innordinant amount of sci fi. I also watch a lot of reality. I don't have my sky box connected to a phone line, I have no online usage with the 360 or PC, I don't have a tesco loyalty card. They do record stuff and use it.
If you watch Hard Talk on the BBC you'd have seen representatives from Sky, M$ and any of the big retailers admit as much. The 360 notes how long you'll hover over a tile.

And?
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 69

PreviousNext