to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

What's wrong with Metro?

Your comments on our articles.

One year and one major update later, 360's latest Dashboard interface still isn't up to scratch. Here's why...

Time flies. It's been a full 12 months since the Metro Dashboard arrived on Xbox 360. There was an update this October, but it didn't fix the same problems many CVG readers, Redditors and Xbox.com forumites have had with Microsoft's next-generation user interface. One year since its release, and the Metro experiment is regarded by many as a failure.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

What's wrong with Metro?

Postby Down with robots » 23 Nov 2012, 16:25

I would like the option to kill the avatars please.
Down with robots 51

What's wrong with Metro?

Postby Bambis Dad » 23 Nov 2012, 16:31

Go retro, Xbox suxxorz.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Re: What's wrong with Metro?

Postby Black Mantis » 23 Nov 2012, 16:42

Each to their own, Metro's still the best console interface for me currently. Not perfect by any means, but still good.
Black Mantis 67

What's wrong with Metro?

Postby TheDragonDoji » 23 Nov 2012, 16:43

I may be a ps3 owner, but all fanboy bullcrap aside...the ubiquity of advertising on Xbox turns me off more than other aspect of the console and the system. I don't like the pads but that's personal preference.
Sony's PSN is free and if they advertised as much as Xbox I would accept it...BECAUSE ITS FREE. But paying to access an online service to then be bombarded with adverts for trainers. No. It's just greed.

Xbox LIVE is a better service than PSN, but then you're paying the price of game each year to be advertised too and that doesn't sit well with me.
"You fight well...in the 'old 'style."
TheDragonDoji 43

PSN ID: TheDragonDoji

Postby TheLastDodo » 23 Nov 2012, 16:46

Sony do advertise a lot on PS3, it's just all in the 'Whats New' section but you can turn that off anyway.

That mockup is nice, I'd be happy with that.
TheLastDodo 76

Postby budge » 23 Nov 2012, 16:49

Insert game disc - install - play game.

Everything else, I ignore.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 65

Postby ensabahnur » 23 Nov 2012, 17:01

As long as i know where my current game, friends lists, installed or downloaded games and marketplace are i'm happy.

As for the "bombarded with adverts for trainers" line someone above me has posted you do realise that you don't have to watch these adverts and they do nothing but run with the sound down in a small box until you actually choose to highlight the things. The only time you have to watch any advert is when starting up something on 4oD, which is the same on whatever format your using.

Honestly this advert issue is getting out of hand, c'mon how many actual xbox users are affected by them, none because unless we actually want to watch the advert (which we did for the JCvD Coors adverts)we don't bother highlighting them.
Last edited by ensabahnur on 23 Nov 2012, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby FishyGinger » 23 Nov 2012, 17:04

I barely notice it ensabahnur. I do highlight it if I'm wondering whether to go online or play something so I can listen to Madness for a few seconds. It is much better layed out than the ps3 though from what I've used it for, that's just a mess.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 66

Postby ted1138 » 23 Nov 2012, 17:07

I don't even notice the advertising, can't imagine why so many people are crying about it... :|
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 61

Postby qSPARTANp » 23 Nov 2012, 17:10

Yes, get rid of advertising! or at least shove it to the back page and give us full customization over the tiles, sorted!
qSPARTANp 45

Postby El Mag » 23 Nov 2012, 17:10

budge wrote:Insert game disc - install - play game.

That's all I do as well.

Apart from when I put Forza Horizon on earlier. That was insert disc - delete install for Black Ops 2 because my HDD is only the 20gb one - install Forza - have a bacon and sausage butty while it installs - scratched multiple places - play game.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 67

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby StonecoldMC » 23 Nov 2012, 17:15

Am I the only one that isn't infuriated by the current dashboard then?

There are ads but you actually have to roll over or click on them to open them up and play them, not exactly what I would call intrusive and with the ability to add pins and your most recent playlists, whats everyone's problem :? ?
StonecoldMC 79
Global Moderator

Postby Down with robots » 23 Nov 2012, 17:17

budge wrote:Insert game disc - install - play game.

You and me both. For one thing, I can get everything else with less hassle on my PC, including blocking out ads.
Down with robots 51

Postby SadisticBrownie » 23 Nov 2012, 17:20

I really don't like it. The ads are ridiculous for Gold subs, and it just feels messy to use. Despite its flaws, I'd take the blades system any day.
From what I've seen of Windows 8, I'll not be "upgrading" from 7 until I absolutely have to.
SadisticBrownie 45

Xbox Live: SadisticBrownie
PSN ID: SadisticBrownie
Steam: sadisticbrownie

Postby wezbit » 23 Nov 2012, 17:35

Sorry, but the ad's are intrusive! I had to use a dongle to play Xbox live, while I waited for
Broadband to come through. I had 1GB download limit, sitting at the dashboard It was using
30 megs every 4 minuites, about 1 hour of 2 player BLOPS Zombies. It repeats and repeats.
Not only that gold users pay for their service, so out of principle we should not have ad's running
full stop. How dare Microsoft make money off our backs.
wezbit 39

Next