to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Hitman Absolution review: Vintage 47, successfully remixed

Your comments on our articles.

Not all ideas work, but it's definitely Hitman

During Hitman Absolution we shot, stabbed, poisoned, crushed, electrocuted, defenestrated, strangled, immolated, impaled, bludgeoned, exploded, drilled, chopped and sniped the comically evil characters that populate the game. The 'tragic accidents' that killed some of them? Yeah, that was us too.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Hitman Absolution review: Vintage 47, successfully remix

Postby Skullet » 18 Nov 2012, 19:57

JD_Method wrote:
sulli456 wrote:I have had mine on my steam list since it was first given pre order, now i have to sit here with it pre-loaded waiting to play while the console gamers who pre-ordered getting theirs early get to play. It is certainly infuriating. One of my main gripes with PC gaming and Steam, I don't see why we have more restrictions than they do, discrimination i say.

But i remain happy that it is getting a worldwide release date, and on all platforms at once, I don't see why this can't be the rule, but that is another debate for another time.

Exactly, if I'd bought this on PS3 or 360 I'd have been playing it yesterday.

What's most annoying for me is that I have a boxed copy. I have the damn discs with the game on, but I can't play it. The discs are actually redundant now since I've pre-loaded through Steam (which you can't do with the discs) and it'll unlock itself on Tuesday.

It's sad that I can't play I game I've bought and have in my possession until I'm allowed to. What next? How many more restrictions will be in place next gen? How much more control will publishers have over the products I've bought and own in the future?

Move the date on your PC forward to Tuesdays date, it probably wont work but the old date trick still works from time to time so always worth a try.
Skullet 60

Postby Wakacha » 18 Nov 2012, 20:09

After reading a lot of posts from people around the internet, I've returned to my cautious state of mind. Apparently it depends on how much you love HItman. If you want a Hitman ass Hitman game, you will be disappointed. It is still suppose to be a good game.

So I'm lowering my expectations a little for when I play it.
"If assholes could fly, this place would be an airport." - Anonymous
Wakacha 49

Postby gmcb007 » 18 Nov 2012, 20:14

Got it on Saturday and I'd say so far it's an 7/10. As a standalone game, it's fantastic but as a Hitman fan, it's a let down.

Some things are harder such as keeping your disguise but other things have been watered down such as the ridiculous ability to put a sniper rifle in your pocket.

One thing that bugs me though is that every level bar the first seems to take place in some dark, gritty rundown area. I know it's supposed to be like that for the sake of the dark story but god, one mission not based in an absolute shite tip would be appreciated.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby m4v3r1cK89 » 18 Nov 2012, 20:33

gmcb007 wrote:...such as the ridiculous ability to put a sniper rifle in your pocket.

Damn, I was hoping that wouldn't make the final game! :?

It is pretty stupid alright. One of the things I found fun about the previous games was trying to sneak the bigger guns by the guards - I'm thinking specifically the Spas 12 in that Middle-Eastern marketplace level in Hitman 2, and those guns I had to retrieve to complete the collection in the shed :D

So, is the sniper suitcase definitely not involved this time around? You'd think that would be a little more believable. I remember an F2000 in a suitcase in Blood Money too...
m4v3r1cK89 19

Xbox Live: LumpyCustard123

Postby luttman23 » 18 Nov 2012, 20:35

m4v3r1cK89 wrote:
luttman23 wrote:I suggest everyone who has ever played a Hitman game reads the review on PC Gamers website before you waste your cash.

... and then maybe check out the same reviewer's opinion on Max Payne 3 - he figured it warranted a score of 55% :shock:

I'd take his score with a pinch of salt, if I were you.

I did take the Max Payne 3 one with a pinch of salt and bought it for steam regardless, however having played it myself I would give it about 55% too.
Those that know how to win are much more numerous than those who know how to make proper use of their victories. -Polybius
luttman23 46

Xbox Live: Xen Withanex
PSN ID: luttman23
Steam: luttman23

Postby JD_Method » 18 Nov 2012, 20:36

Skullet wrote:Move the date on your PC forward to Tuesdays date, it probably wont work but the old date trick still works from time to time so always worth a try.

Thanks, but it uses Steam, so it's not that easy I'm afraid.
JD_Method 58

Postby m4v3r1cK89 » 18 Nov 2012, 20:39

Well, to be honest I thought it was one of the best shooters of the last year. But then again, it's one of my favourite franchises - so maybe I'm a little bit biased. You're entitled to your opinion though, as is the reviewer!

Out of curiosity, why did you think it was that bad?
m4v3r1cK89 19

Postby Skullet » 18 Nov 2012, 20:54

JD_Method wrote:
Skullet wrote:Move the date on your PC forward to Tuesdays date, it probably wont work but the old date trick still works from time to time so always worth a try.

Thanks, but it uses Steam, so it's not that easy I'm afraid.

Ah it checks the date server side. Looking around it looks like their might be a VPN trick to bypass the release date lockout, I haven't tried it or read that much into it but it seemed like it might be a step in the right direction. The link is for a thread about Borderlands 2 on Steam but I suspect the same trick might work here. http://www.gaijingamers.com/showthread.php?t=5830
Skullet 60

Postby sulli456 » 18 Nov 2012, 21:05

Skullet wrote:Ah it checks the date server side. Looking around it looks like their might be a VPN trick to bypass the release date lockout, I haven't tried it or read that much into it but it seemed like it might be a step in the right direction. The link is for a thread about Borderlands 2 on Steam but I suspect the same trick might work here. http://www.gaijingamers.com/showthread.php?t=5830

Doubt it will work, and wouldn't be worth the risk, i have heard people can lose accounts because of this and that would be a lot of money down the drain as it would be bye bye games. People say it is because steam will lock the account as it has been accessed round the world in short time, but is it worth the risk.

And because it is a worldwide release date it isn't unlocked anywhere so changing you worldly location wont change the fact it is locked.
sulli456 47

Postby gmcb007 » 18 Nov 2012, 21:08

m4v3r1cK89 wrote:
gmcb007 wrote:...such as the ridiculous ability to put a sniper rifle in your pocket.

Damn, I was hoping that wouldn't make the final game! :?

It is pretty stupid alright. One of the things I found fun about the previous games was trying to sneak the bigger guns by the guards - I'm thinking specifically the Spas 12 in that Middle-Eastern marketplace level in Hitman 2, and those guns I had to retrieve to complete the collection in the shed :D

So, is the sniper suitcase definitely not involved this time around? You'd think that would be a little more believable. I remember an F2000 in a suitcase in Blood Money too...

It doesn't seem to be mate. I'm as upset as you for the same reason. Used to love snekaing out massive guns!
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby m4v3r1cK89 » 18 Nov 2012, 21:14

That's a shame.

Maybe it'll be patched in later, or added as (free :D ) DLC or something. It's almost an iconic element of the series now.
m4v3r1cK89 19

Postby sammikid » 18 Nov 2012, 21:20

No case for your sniper rifle! thats a let down. Thought developers were cottoning on to the little things that make us happy. :?
sammikid 61

PSN ID: SammIKid

Postby JD_Method » 18 Nov 2012, 21:28

sulli456 wrote:Doubt it will work, and wouldn't be worth the risk, i have heard people can lose accounts because of this and that would be a lot of money down the drain as it would be bye bye games. People say it is because steam will lock the account as it has been accessed round the world in short time, but is it worth the risk.

And because it is a worldwide release date it isn't unlocked anywhere so changing you worldly location wont change the fact it is locked.

I don't think I've heard of anyone actually losing their account for using VPN, but the T&Cs do kind of warn against it.

Also, I just read this:
Now, before I get into the guide I want to say the following: Steam will not ban for using a VPN. The only reason they will ban for you using a VPN is if you use it to get the game cheaper from another region or sometimes if you constantly switch your VPN location, Steam can lock your account since to Steam it appears like it has been accessed from a number of different countries in a short time span.

So it might be okay to hop on a VPN, unlock the game, and get off again quick. But still, there's always a bit of a risk.
JD_Method 58

Postby Skullet » 18 Nov 2012, 21:43

sulli456 wrote:
Skullet wrote:Ah it checks the date server side. Looking around it looks like their might be a VPN trick to bypass the release date lockout, I haven't tried it or read that much into it but it seemed like it might be a step in the right direction. The link is for a thread about Borderlands 2 on Steam but I suspect the same trick might work here. http://www.gaijingamers.com/showthread.php?t=5830

Doubt it will work, and wouldn't be worth the risk, i have heard people can lose accounts because of this and that would be a lot of money down the drain as it would be bye bye games. People say it is because steam will lock the account as it has been accessed round the world in short time, but is it worth the risk.

I doubt you'd lose your account for that, at worst Steam would lock your account till you contacted them to sort it out. Obviously with these things there is always a risk, but the question is how much do you want to play the game?

If its a worldwide release then the VPN trick obviously wont work.
Skullet 60

Postby Skullet » 18 Nov 2012, 21:45

JD_Method wrote:
sulli456 wrote:Doubt it will work, and wouldn't be worth the risk, i have heard people can lose accounts because of this and that would be a lot of money down the drain as it would be bye bye games. People say it is because steam will lock the account as it has been accessed round the world in short time, but is it worth the risk.

I don't think I've heard of anyone actually losing their account for using VPN, but the T&Cs do kind of warn against it.

Also, I just read this:
Now, before I get into the guide I want to say the following: Steam will not ban for using a VPN. The only reason they will ban for you using a VPN is if you use it to get the game cheaper from another region or sometimes if you constantly switch your VPN location, Steam can lock your account since to Steam it appears like it has been accessed from a number of different countries in a short time span.

So it might be okay to hop on a VPN, unlock the game, and get off again quick. But still, there's always a bit of a risk.

Yeah I wouldn't think Steam would ban your account for using a VPN, at worst they'd lock it till you verified it hadn't been hacked or the like.
Skullet 60

PreviousNext