to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

New Super Mario Bros U review: New ideas layered on a famili

Your comments on our articles.

Something borrowed, something U...

What better way to christen your brand spanking-new dual-screen Nintendo console than with a classic slice of dual-faced Nintendo magic? New Super Mario Bros U's riotous multiplayer sees Ninty at their duplicitous, treacherous, hilarious best.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: New Super Mario Bros U review: New ideas layered on a fa

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 20:48

You really cant compare because not only are the people reviewing them different, the older sites that did review it arent around anymore.........

But in terms of smw gba. It got alot of 8-10, and so is this so I dont see any HUGE leap.

Classic is a term designed for older games (for me no less than 10 years old)

I wouldnt even call new super mario ds a classic, its not old enough
stealth 47

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 20:48

Agent75 wrote:It was on the cards that it was going to look, sound and play top dollar. And what with this being Nintendo's new milking franchise, it was always going to be more of the same. I bet mags and websites went over to Nintendo UK, played it for a few hours and thought we'll just give it an 8 or 9 out of 10, and even though we've not had much time on it, we sort of know anyway from playing the DS, 3DS and Wii versions. I mean, how can you really trust reviews these days? How different is the Wii U version to other versions? Just a few bits and bobs here and there...

New levels, new modes, new powerups, new background assets, world map, baby yoshis...........

Out of all the "new" games this is by far the most different.
stealth 47

Postby Welsh Jester » 15 Nov 2012, 21:22

What a surprise about it being easy, i knew that from the start.. Well that's a fail if it can't even match the difficulties of 3D land's last special worlds.
Welsh Jester 48

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 21:25

Welsh Jester wrote:What a surprise about it being easy, i knew that from the start.. Well that's a fail if it can't even match the difficulties of 3D land's last special worlds.

3d land is the easiest mario in the history of fat italian plumber videogames.
stealth 47

Postby Bryanee1983 » 15 Nov 2012, 22:03

eurogamer gave it a 9/10
Right now, I'm letting you live. And I'll continue to keep you alive...until you've grown enough to become worth killing.♠
Joined 2001
Bryanee1983 59

Postby fatherofthenoo » 15 Nov 2012, 22:35

I honestly think that all Nintendo had to do was change the art style and music. Make it feel fresh. They seriously need to get some new blood in there because originality is lacking somewhat.

Fantastic game... it just doesn't feel very... new.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 22:40

Bryanee1983 wrote:eurogamer gave it a 9/10

Thats the biggest shocker yet
stealth 47

Postby Balladeer » 15 Nov 2012, 23:08

stealth wrote:
Balladeer wrote:No surprises there then - either from the game's contents or the review. I'm positive that Nintendo can do fun new things with 2D platformers, and it always saddens me when they don't. Ho hum. At least they say they're on one per console for now.

I enjoyed NSMB2; I'm sure I'll enjoy this, so long as I go into it prepared for a Mario-by-the-numbers. Which is still pretty good.

Challenge mode? boost mode? those are new arent they? for nintendo. People are saying challenge mode is one of the coolest things theyve ever done.

In my view NSMB2 will be tripe ( isnt that a uk fish?) compared to this.

This isnt mario by the numbers like the portable ones ( mario WII was good) :wink:

Urk, bonus modes. I don't care for them. For me, once the game's over (and by "over" I mean all Star Coins and secret worlds), it's over, bar any multiplayer or anything really compelling.

To be fair, the Yoshis sound like nice new power-ups. It just saddens me when I compare any of the NSMBs, including the Wii one (which in my opinion was the worst of the bunch), to Donkey Kong Country Returns, a game which felt fresh despite in some ways being as retro as an NES in flares. Every level felt new and exciting (apart from Sticky Situation), something 2D Mario just doesn't feel like it can capture.

Maybe Retro should design the next 2D Mario. Or they should do New Super Mario Land, with moai and racist Chinese enemies. Or a good Yoshi's Island successor, as far away from Artoon as possible. None of these ideas are original per sé, but they'd be different enough to make me sit up and take interest!
Balladeer 78

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 23:12

i disagree, this is the best mario platformer since world and I am ready to soak it in

And considering there wont be another this generation people should play this 2d mario when they have the chance or risk waiting another 5-8 years
stealth 47

Postby thelazyone » 15 Nov 2012, 23:25

fatherofthenoo wrote:I honestly think that all Nintendo had to do was change the art style and music. Make it feel fresh. They seriously need to get some new blood in there because originality is lacking somewhat.

Yeah I agree, you think with all the horse power, they would really up the antie in terms of art direction.

http://orioto.deviantart.com/gallery/?o ... 2#/d1onf3d

something like that would be cool.
"Video Games are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock 'N' Roll" - Shigeru Miyamoto
thelazyone 57

Xbox Live: HyperSinperPOW
PSN ID: Googie_1
Wii Code: WiiU- 2hathuddas

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 23:31

^ Where did that art come from?

My intention is not to insult an artist. But I do not like that style.

I admit, the ds and 3ds 2d marios were really fun. But the blurryness, didnt do it for me. Mario wii was better in this regard I really liked the art style.

U is flat out beast mode

http://www.mariowiki.com/File:Ghost_Pai ... ioWiiU.png

http://www.mariowiki.com/File:WiiU_NewM ... n10_E3.png

http://www.mariowiki.com/File:Monty_Mol ... _NSMBU.png

Its just beautiful to me. As beautiful as a rainbow of candy flavored money
stealth 47

Postby Fr33Kye » 16 Nov 2012, 01:37

Stealth i really hope you didn't consider NSMB Wii to be good. It was a f**king tragedy. If this game is anything like it, it is likely pretty awful. The landscapes look really great though!!
thelazyone wrote:
fatherofthenoo wrote:I honestly think that all Nintendo had to do was change the art style and music. Make it feel fresh. They seriously need to get some new blood in there because originality is lacking somewhat.

Yeah I agree, you think with all the horse power, they would really up the antie in terms of art direction.

I really like this art style, very nice change of pace. I still cant stand the new super mario bros gameplay. Or even the old super mario bros gameplay. A new mario world would be nice though!
Fr33Kye 71

Postby stealth » 16 Nov 2012, 01:38

I hated the ds game with a passion. I tolerated the 3ds 2d platformer. But I really did love nsmb wii
stealth 47

Postby Balladeer » 16 Nov 2012, 08:59

thelazyone wrote:

Like Stealth, not keen. Funnily enough, I quite like the general art direction and shading, but I don't like Mario and I hate the Goombas.
Balladeer 78

Postby ensabahnur » 16 Nov 2012, 12:00

You'll complete it in a weekend

:shock: I always remember Mario games taking weeks to months to complete, Super Mario World on the SNES and Mario64 took me months. Ok i was mixing them with other games but i very much doubt that unless you put in a mammoth 48 hr session you could have completed them in 1 weekend.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

PreviousNext