to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Wii U: Nintendo's day of reckoning

Your comments on our articles.

Why neither core nor casual audiences are safe bets for Nintendo's new console

Nintendo lost its core audience at the turn of the century and, after ten extraordinarily successful years in a different market, it now carries a romantic belief that old fans will return in their millions when the Wii U launches.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby HelloLadies » 15 Nov 2012, 13:00

Any sensible, objective discussion before stealth weighs in?
HelloLadies 50

Postby brownboy90 » 15 Nov 2012, 13:09

The one aspect missing form this write up is the fact that Nintendo will always sell hardware because of the games they produce. A true Nintento fan doesn't really give a toss if they don't get the latest re-hash of Black Ops (same thing every year, just different guns or Zombies). They want the latest AAA first party titles and they are worth getting a machine for alone.
brownboy90 22

Re: Wii U: Nintendo's day of reckoning

Postby El Mag » 15 Nov 2012, 13:11

HelloLadies wrote:Any sensible, objective discussion before stealth weighs in?

I like BBQ ribs but I can see why some wouldn't and I don't think any less of them.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 15 Nov 2012, 13:15

We're all doomed. I don't think. Go try and pre order a wiiU. I bet you won't get one. There might not be so much hubub this time but i think it's still going to sell.

I think it's going to be a lot like the 3ds. Once people catch wind of zelda, metroid and whatever the new main mario game Sales will pick up.

It just needs a few compelling games and it'll fly off the shelves. There's this big thing where everyone is expecting MS and Sony to knock machnies that'll have mosterously powerful graphics, I have a feeling that they might hold off for a few years to makesure they're commercially viable. Not that Sony need even make another console now they own Gaikai. They could just turn all the existing ps3s into boxes for streaming their future games and they'll never need manufacture another profit losing machine again.

Fact of the matter is that Nintendo will always be about games. Thats what they do, They're a software company that makes hardware. You cant go wrong buying nintendo. they build reliable hardware that drives software.

I think the biggest problem with the wii was that it hedged its bets on motion control. If they'd given us motion+ and skyward sword at launch that would of been it. If it'd been a HD machine as well. The 3rd party support wouldn't of dried up.

They proved that power doesn't matter every gamer worth his salt already knows this. But its a great way of dragging people in in the first place. If the wiiU had been UE4 comapatible i don't think you'd of written the article. Just my 2ps worth.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby AJDarkstar » 15 Nov 2012, 13:19

Pre-orders are likely completely sold out and it divides audiences? I don't think so. My impression from E3 was of a console with no limitations. Casual? Catered for. Hardcore? Still here for you, as they have been for the past decade (the GameCube was hardcore, and the Wii had its fair share - a new Smash Bros, Metroid Prime 3 then trilogy, DKC Returns, not to mention two ace Zeldas and two genuinely innovative and imagination-packed Mario Galaxy games. And have you played 9-7 on New Super Mario Bros Wii? Then they released New Play Control games to bring GC classics to a new audience...)
In short, this article is an incredible example of how to prevaricate. It sounds good, but under it all there isn't even an ounce of truth.
http://ade-hawkins.blogspot.com/
AJDarkstar 47

Xbox Live: A J Darkstar
PSN ID: AJDarkstar
Steam: AJDarkstar

Postby AJDarkstar » 15 Nov 2012, 13:19

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:We're all doomed. I don't think. Go try and pre order a wiiU. I bet you won't get one. There might not be so much hubub this time but i think it's still going to sell.

I think it's going to be a lot like the 3ds. Once people catch wind of zelda, metroid and whatever the new main mario game Sales will pick up.

It just needs a few compelling games and it'll fly off the shelves. There's this big thing where everyone is expecting MS and Sony to knock machnies that'll have mosterously powerful graphics, I have a feeling that they might hold off for a few years to makesure they're commercially viable. Not that Sony need even make another console now they own Gaikai. They could just turn all the existing ps3s into boxes for streaming their future games and they'll never need manufacture another profit losing machine again.

Fact of the matter is that Nintendo will always be about games. Thats what they do, They're a software company that makes hardware. You cant go wrong buying nintendo. they build reliable hardware that drives software.

I think the biggest problem with the wii was that it hedged its bets on motion control. If they'd given us motion+ and skyward sword at launch that would of been it. If it'd been a HD machine as well. The 3rd party support wouldn't of dried up.

They proved that power doesn't matter every gamer worth his salt already knows this. But its a great way of dragging people in in the first place. If the wiiU had been UE4 comapatible i don't think you'd of written the article. Just my 2ps worth.

Agreed.
http://ade-hawkins.blogspot.com/
AJDarkstar 47

Xbox Live: A J Darkstar
PSN ID: AJDarkstar
Steam: AJDarkstar

Postby Skullet » 15 Nov 2012, 13:57

Pre orders aren't sold out, I checked about 10 websites and all of them seem to have stock available for pre order, granted its the basic bundle but if demand was as high as people are claiming then they would all be sold out, especially this close to launch.
Skullet 60

Postby Balladeer » 15 Nov 2012, 13:58

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:There's this big thing where everyone is expecting MS and Sony to knock machnies that'll have mosterously powerful graphics, I have a feeling that they might hold off for a few years to makesure they're commercially viable. Not that Sony need even make another console now they own Gaikai. They could just turn all the existing ps3s into boxes for streaming their future games and they'll never need manufacture another profit losing machine again.

Sony will release a PS4 (I just can't see them going stream-only yet: it'd be too big a hardware risk for a company that doesn't take many), but it won't be for a while yet. Not unless they're in trouble.

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:I think it's going to be a lot like the 3ds. Once people catch wind of zelda, metroid and whatever the new main mario game Sales will pick up.

It just needs a few compelling games and it'll fly off the shelves.

This is what I'd expect. There is a slight Dreamcast-shaped crowd hovering over the WiiU - ahead of its time, screen in the controller, most powerful thing out (albeit briefly), and to quote the Dreamcast article on Wikipedia, "due to brisk sales and hardware shortages, Sega was unable to fulfill all of the advance orders". But Nintendo, having not ruined Mario yet, still commands the Nintendo fanbase, along with any new converts it may have picked up from the Wii, and that's a powerful thing. Furthermore, a PS4 in the vein of the PS2 (i.e. low-spec) would be seen as a failure today.

There are so many ways Nintendo could muck this up. Being Nintendo, they'll probably do a few of them. But they'll also produce great games and won't go bankrupt. Surely, for gamers, that's what matters at the end of the day.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby thelazyone » 15 Nov 2012, 14:01

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:We're all doomed. I don't think. Go try and pre order a wiiU. I bet you won't get one. There might not be so much hubub this time but i think it's still going to sell.

Was going to write a very long post but in the end didnt have too. Agree with alot of this.

Alot of people will buy a new wii just as they buy a new iPod. Wait for the advertisements.
"Video Games are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock 'N' Roll" - Shigeru Miyamoto
thelazyone 57

Xbox Live: HyperSinperPOW
PSN ID: Googie_1
Wii Code: WiiU- 2hathuddas

Postby toaplan » 15 Nov 2012, 14:22

The N64 was definitely still a core console, but the Game Cube was already an attempt to capture the casual market. The specs and tech were compromised in order to attain a mass-market friendly, unusually low price. Nevertheless, it was mostly the die hard Nintendo fans that bought the Cube. The limited mass-market sales of the console probably came from the kids/family segment.

The Wii was even more clearly aimed at the casual market, and much more successful thanks to the faddish motion controls.

Now they want the core gamers to return, because Apple has turned most of the casual market into iSheep? It's going to take a huge effort from Nintendo to reach that goal. Bayonetta 2 is like the first few hundred meters of a Marathon...
toaplan 74

Postby Jingee » 15 Nov 2012, 14:29

My reservations were nullified when I actually held the controller in my hand for the first time at PlayExpo. It wasn't quite as big a deal as playing Wii Tennis for the first time, but it was still a brilliant occasion.
Jingee 50

Postby hephaestos » 15 Nov 2012, 14:35

"Nintendo lost its core audience at the turn of the century"

is it me or does this article use the wrong words.... Nintendo lost the hard core audience... but never their core audience. That's the people that bought 7-8M of each GC first party titles... Nintendo fans never left and most never will as their games are unique (and not to the liking of many hard core gamers).
hephaestos 40

Postby stickyfiddle » 15 Nov 2012, 14:47

Lets be honest, what the WiiU needs is a great 3D Mario game, and a killer new Mario Kart (preferably closer to DS, DD and 64 than Wii in style pls). Those are the things that Nntendo fans re after above all. Then bring us an HD Zelda, Pikmin, and F-Zero and I'll be a happy man.

But I'm not going to even consider buying the machine until at least 2 of those are in shops
stickyfiddle 38

PSN ID: stickyfiddle

Postby blueoktober » 15 Nov 2012, 14:55

Skullet wrote:Pre orders aren't sold out, I checked about 10 websites and all of them seem to have stock available for pre order, granted its the basic bundle but if demand was as high as people are claiming then they would all be sold out, especially this close to launch.

Please tell me where? All you have to do is a simple google search for Wii U and choose "shopping". One site is selling the basic for $499 and cannot guarantee a Christmas delivery because "This item is in high demand".

Gamestop sold out the same day they went on sale (I know, I reserved one).
Best Buy - none
Target - none
Toys R Us - none
Wal Mart - non
AMazon - $599 and up from the Amazon Market.

So please, share with all of us where you can buy a Wii U, get it for Christmas, and at retail price. I challenge you.
blueoktober 1
New user

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 15 Nov 2012, 15:05

WHERESMYMONKEY Made lots of great points and i agree with most of it, my take on the Wii U is that Nintendo today are a different company in a different position to the one that launched the original Wii.

Its not a casual console at 300 quid, no matter how nintendo or anyone else argues that point, 179.99 with a packaged game adding a huge new gimmick was a casual purchase, 3 different SKU's at starting prices of 250-350 with only a new touchpad controller is a whole different proposition. At the very least NINTENDOLAND should have been a packaged game with EVERY console.

Since the Wii launched online gaming with full party chat and social gaming has transformed the landscape, wii u brings nothing to the table regarding this (at least not day one anyway) unlike the previous machine which had everything you needed in one box the Wii U also makes consumers who want traditional play experiences fork out another 40 quid on a controller and upto another say 80 quid on a hard drive to store things on because inbuilt memory is a complete joke.

The WII U will live or die by the truly hardcore Nintendo fanboys and girls sticking with the triple A franchises that only Nintendo have, the mario's the zelda's etc until there is a price reduction of the top tier model to a sub 200 price point. Absolutely nobody i know is getting a wii u at launch because the software lineup and console prices are very poor and to be frank my entire xbox live and ps3 friends list seem to just want the 720 and ps4. The casual market was nintendos biggest ally in the last round but as the very name casual suggests the support was just that.

This console apart from a 4 week xmas period will sell very slowly indeed, it will exactly mirror the 3DS start as it shares all the same problems that launch had, this time next year when a proper lineup is available with luck a totally different story will emerge however at that point its going to go against truly next gen consoles from companies with seriously loyal fanbases too.

Its a brand new world people, the old rules dont apply anymore, nothing is set in stone, financial worries still everywhere, publishers once mighty now reduced to laughing stocks, development costs on the rise, number of games published diminishing, dont bet against Nintendo however, only a fool does that just dont think this time round their home console will be in every home in the land, it absolutely will not.

Its going to be an interesting ride
Megatrons_Fury 50

Next