Wii U: Why it'll be a genuine game-changer

Your comments on our articles.

Forget the naysayers, argues Nintendo Gamer

Was it really been a year since we first clapped our disbelieving, slightly jet-lagged peepers on Wii U? Incredibly, it is, and a lot has changed in those 12 months for a console that isn't even out yet. We now know a great deal more about the machine than we did at its divisive debut, and we don't need to dust off the crystal ball to tell you that its future looks bright.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Wii U: Why it'll be a genuine game-changer

Postby toaplan » 30 Jul 2012, 11:02

Balladeer wrote: It's not how much power you have: it's what you do with it that counts. And the same will apply this generation. I thought that was bleeding obvious.


Another point is that the more power you have available, the more you can do. Can you do the PC version of BF3 on ultra settings on PS360? Obviously not.
User avatar
toaplan 74
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: 12 Jun 2011, 20:04
Location: Finland

Re: Wii U: Why it'll be a genuine game-changer

Postby Sentinator » 30 Jul 2012, 11:48

Pointing out false claims your making and caring about the looks are two different things. People saw Gamecube was more powerful than PS2. The question is: did it matter?
User avatar
Sentinator 38
 
Posts: 999
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 07:44

Re: Wii U: Why it'll be a genuine game-changer

Postby toaplan » 30 Jul 2012, 12:24

Sentinator wrote:Pointing out false claims your making and caring about the looks are two different things. People saw Gamecube was more powerful than PS2. The question is: did it matter?


Making false claims yourself, like "the God of War games weren't near the looks of RE4 and Twilight Princess" hardly counts as "pointing out my false claims".

By "people" I guess you mean Nintendo fans. Why did Edge refer to the GameCube as a "$200 toy" instead of a "superconsole", which was how they described the PS2? Because people were skeptical about the capabilities of such a cheap console. I think it was the GameCube's capabilities that were under suspicion - not the PS2's, which was widely regarded as a very powerful machine. Nintendo itself and other first-rate devs such as Capcom managed to squeeze impressive graphics out of that cheap Cube in the end, but similarly it wasn't until GoW 2 that the more expensive PS2 was maxed out.
User avatar
toaplan 74
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: 12 Jun 2011, 20:04
Location: Finland

Re: Wii U: Why it'll be a genuine game-changer

Postby Sentinator » 30 Jul 2012, 13:16

I don't know what to say about Edge or the media in general. They are sceptical of everything Nintendo do. And they are always proven wrong. Nintendo is a highly respected company with big franchises and make good games. The public trust them. The thing about Wii U is Nintendo are not building it to compete in the graphical arena. There isn't any point in comparing Wii U to the next xbox or PS4 really because Nintendo take their own path. They aren't in direct competition with Microsoft or Sony.
User avatar
Sentinator 38
 
Posts: 999
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 07:44

Re: Wii U: Why it'll be a genuine game-changer

Postby Lady Gagagged » 30 Jul 2012, 13:27

The one thing I'm struggling to follow here is if the PS2 was so cutting edge in 1999, and the GC not up to scratch in 2001, why are all the games you claim to look great because of the PS2's inherent greatness all from years later? There is no point in having cutting edge hardware if it takes developers four years to get to grips with it, surely?
User avatar
Lady Gagagged 66
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 07:30
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Re: Wii U: Why it'll be a genuine game-changer

Postby toaplan » 30 Jul 2012, 13:52

Lady Gagagged wrote:The one thing I'm struggling to follow here is if the PS2 was so cutting edge in 1999, and the GC not up to scratch in 2001, why are all the games you claim to look great because of the PS2's inherent greatness all from years later? There is no point in having cutting edge hardware if it takes developers four years to get to grips with it, surely?


The PS2 was launched in (March) 2000 in Japan. Final Fantasy 10 was out in 2001 already (as was Gran Turismo 3). But it did take a long time to get the most out of the PS2's hardware. God of War 2 was released as late as 2007.

By the way, I forgot to mention that Gran Turismo 4 supports 1080i resolution - and that's another thing that the GameCube can't do.

Check out this video of the amazing GT4 running in 1080i HD. In your face, GameCube! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbAEXKKLQo8
User avatar
toaplan 74
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: 12 Jun 2011, 20:04
Location: Finland

Re: Wii U: Why it'll be a genuine game-changer

Postby Sentinator » 30 Jul 2012, 16:29

Thats nothing! The best looking game ever is on 3DS. No game has ever matched the visuals on this game. Not on Wii U, 360 or PS3. Not on Vita. And especially not on PS2 :P

And btw Imaduck in this instance yes I would be trolling. Or joking. Depending on how you interpret it.
User avatar
Sentinator 38
 
Posts: 999
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 07:44

Re: Wii U: Why it'll be a genuine game-changer

Postby Balladeer » 30 Jul 2012, 18:25

toaplan wrote:
Balladeer wrote: It's not how much power you have: it's what you do with it that counts. And the same will apply this generation. I thought that was bleeding obvious.


Another point is that the more power you have available, the more you can do. Can you do the PC version of BF3 on ultra settings on PS360? Obviously not.


On an old console, everything that will be done has already been done. There's no question of potential. The only question is on how good the software out is.

I'll say it again: stupid debate.
User avatar
Balladeer 78
 
Posts: 22480
Joined: 07 Feb 2007, 17:57
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Wii U: Why it'll be a genuine game-changer

Postby Lady Gagagged » 30 Jul 2012, 19:06

This is from an article in Popular Mechanics, Aug. 2004:

The GameCube is the smallest console by far--and its snazzy purple casing makes it stand out. As Richard put it, "It's the baby."
However, it's just as powerful, graphically, as the Xbox. "It would be stupid if it wasn't," Anthony said, "because it came out at the same time.
It would have no excuse to have poorer-looking graphics." The GameCube's graphics processor is 162 MHz compared with PS2's 147 MHz.
While acknowledging that the GameCube is more powerful than the PS2, Matthew said he still prefers the PlayStation because of its games. It's important to note, however, that Nintendo has a loyal following for many of its proprietary games. Remember, Nintendo is the proud inventor of Donkey Kong and the Mario Brothers games (which we at PM hold close to our heart).
User avatar
Lady Gagagged 66
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 07:30
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Re: Wii U: Why it'll be a genuine game-changer

Postby toaplan » 30 Jul 2012, 19:18

Balladeer wrote:On an old console, everything that will be done has already been done. There's no question of potential. The only question is on how good the software out is.


Yeah, BF3 ultra will probably forever remain out of reach for "PS360". Although sometimes it surprises what devs can do with older consoles. Donkey Kong Country on the SNES looked almost like it could've been a Neo Geo game. And if you were lucky enough to afford a HDTV in 2005, Gran Turismo 4 on 1080i resolution must have been mind-blowing - closer to GT5 than GT3 and...

...blown any GameCube game out of the water.
User avatar
toaplan 74
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: 12 Jun 2011, 20:04
Location: Finland

Re: Wii U: Why it'll be a genuine game-changer

Postby Lady Gagagged » 30 Jul 2012, 19:22

In summation GT4 looked pretty, but Balla wants to know if it was any good? I'd say no, and it isn't that pretty.
User avatar
Lady Gagagged 66
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 07:30
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Re: Wii U: Why it'll be a genuine game-changer

Postby toaplan » 30 Jul 2012, 19:46

Lady Gagagged wrote:However, it's just as powerful, graphically, as the Xbox. "It would be stupid if it wasn't," Anthony said, "because it came out at the same time.


Anthony and "Popular Mechanics"... not exactly an authority in the industry like Edge magazine, for example. Anthony must have forgotten about the $100 difference in the retail prices of the GameCube and the Xbox. Would he have assumed the Wii to be as powerful as the PS3, because it came out at the same time? Some people don't seem think that this HD-malarkey is such a big deal.

"Popular Mechanics is a service magazine covering a variety of information on home improvement, automotive needs, electronics, computers, ...A recurring column is 'Jay Leno's Garage' featuring observations by the famed late-night talk show host and vehicle enthusiast."
User avatar
toaplan 74
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: 12 Jun 2011, 20:04
Location: Finland

Re: Wii U: Why it'll be a genuine game-changer

Postby Sentinator » 30 Jul 2012, 20:02

Lady Gagagged wrote:While acknowledging that the GameCube is more powerful than the PS2, Matthew said he still prefers the PlayStation because of its games.

Thats why I play Nintendo. I acknowledge that the next xbox is more powerful than the Wii U but I don't care because I consider Nintendo's games better.
User avatar
Sentinator 38
 
Posts: 999
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 07:44

Re: Wii U: Why it'll be a genuine game-changer

Postby Lady Gagagged » 30 Jul 2012, 20:35

Sentinator wrote:
Lady Gagagged wrote:While acknowledging that the GameCube is more powerful than the PS2, Matthew said he still prefers the PlayStation because of its games.

Thats why I play Nintendo. I acknowledge that the next xbox is more powerful than the Wii U but I don't care because I consider Nintendo's games better.

Toa is trolling, this was established a page or two back when he said things didn't matter then tried to justify it by ignoring his first point. Like what you like sunshine, I love Nintendo too. They're not as boring as M$ or Sony.
User avatar
Lady Gagagged 66
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 07:30
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Re: Wii U: Why it'll be a genuine game-changer

Postby Lady Gagagged » 30 Jul 2012, 20:36

toaplan wrote:
Lady Gagagged wrote:However, it's just as powerful, graphically, as the Xbox. "It would be stupid if it wasn't," Anthony said, "because it came out at the same time.


Anthony and "Popular Mechanics"... not exactly an authority in the industry like Edge magazine, for example. Anthony must have forgotten about the $100 difference in the retail prices of the GameCube and the Xbox. Would he have assumed the Wii to be as powerful as the PS3, because it came out at the same time? Some people don't seem think that this HD-malarkey is such a big deal.

"Popular Mechanics is a service magazine covering a variety of information on home improvement, automotive needs, electronics, computers, ...A recurring column is 'Jay Leno's Garage' featuring observations by the famed late-night talk show host and vehicle enthusiast."


Troall you're talking in circles, you're not an industry insider yet you've always believed the PS2 to be more powerful than the Gamecube, yet won't take an example from an independent source because Edge called it a toy. f**k off you arrogant cock. You talk shite and you know it. Enjoy your 1080i four games that won't run on your PAL PS2.
User avatar
Lady Gagagged 66
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 07:30
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]