to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Microsoft exec: Wii U 'is effectively a 360 in terms of GPU

Your comments on our articles.

Xbox director Phil Spencer talks down next generation console capabilities

A key Microsoft executive appears to have talked down the desirability of Nintendo's upcoming Wii U system by claiming that the new console's technology does not outstrip the current generation Xbox 360.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Microsoft exec: Wii U 'is effectively a 360 in terms of

Postby TheRandyNinja » 04 Jul 2012, 12:23

Graphics Graphics Graphics.... i love how all the nintendo fans scream its not about the graphics and there right, its about so much more than pretty shapes and colours its AI its Physics its frame rates. the Wii U would have been a great match for the 360 and ps3 but its nintendos timing that's always the issue they show up too late to the party. this console will have to last about 5 years minimum the xbox and ps3 are being pushed to there limit at the moment and your all about to jump on a console that's matched to one that is at the end of its limits. the nextbox and ps4 will be more powerful and it might not show at the start but 2-3 years down the line you will start to see its power being utilised and the wii u will be buried in shovel-wear and start too look like the same old outdated nintendo.... but you never know give it a few months and they might release a Wii U XL or another pointless clone like they do with there poor handheld range.
TheRandyNinja 53

Xbox Live: Randy Ninja
PSN ID: Randy Ninja

Postby stealth20k » 04 Jul 2012, 12:27

TheRandyNinja wrote:Graphics Graphics Graphics.... i love how all the nintendo fans scream its not about the graphics and there right, its about so much more than pretty shapes and colours its AI its Physics its frame rates. the Wii U would have been a great match for the 360 and ps3 but its nintendos timing that's always the issue they show up too late to the party. this console will have to last about 5 years minimum the xbox and ps3 are being pushed to there limit at the moment and your all about to jump on a console that's matched to one that is at the end of its limits. the nextbox and ps4 will be more powerful and it might not show at the start but 2-3 years down the line you will start to see its power being utilised and the wii u will be buried in shovel-wear and start too look like the same old outdated nintendo.... but you never know give it a few months and they might release a Wii U XL or another pointless clone like they do with there poor handheld range.

Not only is your initial premise flawed, but then your true colors come out at the end.
stealth20k 14

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 04 Jul 2012, 12:34

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:If you have to talk down the competition then you're scared. Then again i don't understand why its an issue. The wii was less powerful than 360 and the ps3 and it kicked the crap out of both of them at retail.

The 3ds is less powerful than the vita and the same things happening there. In conclusion, The power of a machine has absoultely no effect on its sales. The quality of its software and excluisves do though.

I'm not sure it's quality of software and exclusives that sold the vast majority of Wii consoles. By far most of the sales were generated from casuals interested in wii sports and wii fit etc. no doubt exclusives and quality software are there hidden behind mostly junk and sold a few million consoles because of that.

I'd bet that if a core game came out on all 3 platforms and were the same then it'd sell much less on the Wii.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby stealth20k » 04 Jul 2012, 12:39

Mmmmgrolsch wrote:
WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:If you have to talk down the competition then you're scared. Then again i don't understand why its an issue. The wii was less powerful than 360 and the ps3 and it kicked the crap out of both of them at retail.

The 3ds is less powerful than the vita and the same things happening there. In conclusion, The power of a machine has absoultely no effect on its sales. The quality of its software and excluisves do though.

I'm not sure it's quality of software and exclusives that sold the vast majority of Wii consoles. By far most of the sales were generated from casuals interested in wii sports and wii fit etc. no doubt exclusives and quality software are there hidden behind mostly junk and sold a few million consoles because of that.

I'd bet that if a core game came out on all 3 platforms and were the same then it'd sell much less on the Wii.

Actually if you look at the hardcore games only nintendo did........

Overall there hardcore games sold more than wii sports and fit.
stealth20k 14

Postby Dred0 » 04 Jul 2012, 12:50

If you have to talk down the competition then you're scared. Then again i don't understand why its an issue. The wii was less powerful than 360 and the ps3 and it kicked the crap out of both of them at retail.

But... Joe Public who rushed out to buy the Wii has learnt his lesson. He went next door and saw Gears or Uncharted, and was deeply disappointed with his purchase. Like I've said before, this scenario will not repeat itself - they won't run out to buy a Wii U without checking the competition first.
pwning n00bs since '78.
Dred0 29

Xbox Live: Dred0
PSN ID: FeealissPappa
Steam: Feealiss

Postby stealth20k » 04 Jul 2012, 12:51

Dred0 wrote:
If you have to talk down the competition then you're scared. Then again i don't understand why its an issue. The wii was less powerful than 360 and the ps3 and it kicked the crap out of both of them at retail.

But... Joe Public who rushed out to buy the Wii has learnt his lesson. He went next door and saw Gears or Uncharted, and was deeply disappointed with his purchase. Like I've said before, this scenario will not repeat itself - they won't run out to buy a Wii U without checking the competition first.

Joe public was playing new super mario bros..........which sold 5x what those other exclusives did combined.........

The insecurity is incredible with your statement
stealth20k 14

Postby B_G_G » 04 Jul 2012, 12:56

Microsoft exec: Wii U 'is effectively a 360 in terms of GPU

No, its not.
B_G_G 51

Postby cult » 04 Jul 2012, 12:56

Sounds like a positive play testing to me
ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
cult 63

Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Postby HelloLadies » 04 Jul 2012, 13:08

stealth20k wrote:
TheRandyNinja wrote:Graphics Graphics Graphics.... i love how all the nintendo fans scream its not about the graphics and there right, its about so much more than pretty shapes and colours its AI its Physics its frame rates. the Wii U would have been a great match for the 360 and ps3 but its nintendos timing that's always the issue they show up too late to the party. this console will have to last about 5 years minimum the xbox and ps3 are being pushed to there limit at the moment and your all about to jump on a console that's matched to one that is at the end of its limits. the nextbox and ps4 will be more powerful and it might not show at the start but 2-3 years down the line you will start to see its power being utilised and the wii u will be buried in shovel-wear and start too look like the same old outdated nintendo.... but you never know give it a few months and they might release a Wii U XL or another pointless clone like they do with there poor handheld range.

Not only is your initial premise flawed, but then your true colors come out at the end.

I'm inclined to agree with TheRandyNinja on the point about longevity. Now this is my own personal taste so don't misconstrue it for fact but I stayed well clear of buying a Wii simply because to me it felt behind the times and as though I would be settling for an average system. Now in terms of game selection it may well have a great assortment but I just couldn't look past it in terms of technical prowess. For me personally I would be happy to pay next gen Xbox/PS4 prices for a Nintendo console if it matched them in terms of hardware but it probably won't. I owned a NES, SNES and Nintendo 64 but it was around the N64 time I jumped ship to PC gaming then acquired a PS3 several years ago because it was what my friends had and I liked to play with them online. Now while the Sony or Microsoft offerings at the time were certainly not cutting edge when compared to PC I would not have bought a Wii if that's what they had owned. I am probably biased because I have been spoiled in terms of graphics due to PC gaming but I just cant get back on the Nintendo wagon.

I have a fire blanket on stand by...
Last edited by HelloLadies on 04 Jul 2012, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
HelloLadies 52

Postby stealth20k » 04 Jul 2012, 13:10

^ thats fine with me

the point i was making is people will buy whatever they want for the games they desire to play, not what system its on, or the specs

Specs are probably the worst indicator of future system sales or library
stealth20k 14

Postby Dred0 » 04 Jul 2012, 13:17

Joe public was playing new super mario bros..........which sold 5x what those other exclusives did combined.........

The insecurity is incredible with your statement

Please read my post again. Carefully this time. I'm saying that is not going to happen again (in the West, anyway).
I believe the insecurity lies with Nintendo in feeling they have to defend the Wii U's power at every turn - even without provocation. And there's obviously a reason for that.
pwning n00bs since '78.
Dred0 29

Xbox Live: Dred0
PSN ID: FeealissPappa
Steam: Feealiss

Postby stealth20k » 04 Jul 2012, 13:21

it happens every gen. Every nintendo system sans, virtual boy. Has been first or second in worldwide profit for the gen. So what fact do you have thats going to stop?

"Nintendo in feeling they have to defend the Wii U's power at every turn - even without provocation. And there's obviously a reason for that"

If you were being slandered. Wouldnt you do your best to set the story straight? Theres been extreme provocation.
stealth20k 14

Postby Barry316 » 04 Jul 2012, 13:23

Why the new account stealth?
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 67

Postby stealth20k » 04 Jul 2012, 13:25

Barry316 wrote:Why the new account stealth?

I dont know what the freak your talking about, this is the only one ive ever had
stealth20k 14

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 04 Jul 2012, 14:25

stealth20k wrote:
Barry316 wrote:Why the new account stealth?

I dont know what the freak your talking about, this is the only one ive ever had

Yeah and I'm the President of USA.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

PreviousNext