to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

PS3 Master Keys released - The new Hack is here.

Go here for multiplatform games discussion, past and present

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

PS3 Master Keys released - The new Hack is here.

Postby only_777 » 25 Oct 2012, 18:28

Why is almost no one talking about this? I first saw it on BBC News here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20067289

Which made me visit my slighty shady friends here:

http://www.ps3hax.net/2012/10/ps3-lv0-keys-leaked-and-working/

After which I saw Eurogame seem to be the only gaming site to cover this here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-the-final-hack

So what does all this mean? I'll do a question and answer session here. But Here's what i think will get asked, plus the answers.

Q) Can I hack my PS3 even though I just upgraded the firmware to 4.30?
A) No. This new hack can only be applied to PS3's still running the old hacked firmware. Any machine that is running 3.70 Firmware or later CAN'T be hacked.....yet. Any machine that shipped with Firmware 4.xx can't be hacked, and machines that were shipped with 3.xx will need to be flashed to have the firmware downgraded.

Q) Does this mean hackers can run wild on the PSN again and everything is going to go offline like it did before?
A) Not right now, but it's hard to say what will be going on this time in two weeks. Already there was a Custom firmware 4.21 which did allow hacked PS3's on the PSN, but then firmware 4.30 came out and stopped that. But now the master key is out there, it won't be very hard for hackers to decrypt ANY future firmware to enable hacked machines to have PSN access.
Anyway, breaking into the PSN from a PC and taking it down is in no way the same thing as having a hacked PS3 connect to the network. These are two different things and one doesn't equal the other. Don't expect the PSN to go down like it did before.

Q) Ah s**t, that means loads of hacked PS3's are going to be on the PSN, and we're all f**ked right?
A) No. Sony did learn their lesson after last time. Every PS3 sends data to Sony everytime it logs onto the PSN, which includes firmware version AND other programs that the PS3 has on the HDD. Any machine that connects to the PSN that has homebrew stored on the HDD runs the high risk of having it's machine signature and IP banned from connecting to the PSN forever.

Q) So really what does this mean? I'm a normal player and I don't hack anything, does any of this effect me and in what way?
A) You probably won't notice anything, apart from an increase in the amount of new firmware updates for about a month or so. The only people that can get a hacked machine on the PSN now are going to be hardcore homebrew/coders/open platform fans. The sort of people who will have no interest in joining a online game of MW3 with a hacked version and pew-pewing just for the lolz!

Anymore questions, and I'll answer them here. Also, visit my YouTube, link is in my sig :mrgreen:
only_777 61

Re: PS3 Master Keys released - The new Hack is here.

Postby shadyMrPatch » 15 Nov 2012, 10:16

Great post. I hadn't clocked that there has been almost no coverage of this.

Got a question, I've got a PS3 slim that isn't booting. It got stuck mid update. (4.21 I think, but I'd need to check). Basically it gets to 45% then freezes. If you pull the hard disk at 40% it will get to 99% and stick there instead. I have tested with multiple hard disks and get to the same point.

I've since got a free PS3 with a new phone contract so I'm less concerned about this one thats failing but in another thread you talk about using a PS3 as a media centre, do you reckon that this might be possible one one thats no longer accepting a legit firmware?

I'm off to have a read of PS3Hax.net, see if i can glean anything from there.
PSN : <not telling>
shadyMrPatch 44

Re: PS3 Master Keys released - The new Hack is here.

Postby only_777 » 19 Nov 2012, 13:44

shadyMrPatch wrote:Great post. I hadn't clocked that there has been almost no coverage of this.

Got a question, I've got a PS3 slim that isn't booting. It got stuck mid update. (4.21 I think, but I'd need to check). Basically it gets to 45% then freezes. If you pull the hard disk at 40% it will get to 99% and stick there instead. I have tested with multiple hard disks and get to the same point.

I've since got a free PS3 with a new phone contract so I'm less concerned about this one thats failing but in another thread you talk about using a PS3 as a media centre, do you reckon that this might be possible one one thats no longer accepting a legit firmware?

I'm off to have a read of PS3Hax.net, see if i can glean anything from there.

Try downloading a new firmware from sonys site or just downloading again but using different portable storage media for the firmware. The USB stick you are using could have bad sectors on it
only_777 61