to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Top 5 favourite films

Discuss entertainment, TV, Film, sport, politics, whatever you want

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Top 5 favourite films

Postby Gaseous Snake » 14 Jun 2011, 18:57

1. But you need observations to deduce from.
2. 'yer okay mate.
3. That you need observations to apply the logic to.
4. If you use a mathematical method and get the wrong answer, the method is wrong under those circumstances. Paradoxes are set up to point out flaws in logic.
5. True, but I was referring to physical rules. My fault.
6. You're half correct; in theory, the logic is fine, but the setup is flawed.The initial statement is self-contradictory. I'll have a look for a better example, but for now, you've got me on that one.
Watch this, it had me in tears laughing:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/211e2f184a/metal-gear-awesome

Also, could people please tell me that they're from CVG in their friend requests, otherwise I won't accept them. Cheers.
Gaseous Snake 35

PSN ID: FERRARI_3

Postby spaceman_DOUG » 14 Jun 2011, 19:10

Gaseous Snake wrote:1. But you need observations to deduce from.
2. 'yer okay mate.
3. That you need observations to apply the logic to.
4. If you use a mathematical method and get the wrong answer, the method is wrong under those circumstances. Paradoxes are set up to point out flaws in logic.
5. True, but I was referring to physical rules. My fault.
6. You're half correct; in theory, the logic is fine, but the setup is flawed.The initial statement is self-contradictory. I'll have a look for a better example, but for now, you've got me on that one.

1. So are you arguing that you need to see/experience/understand something to have something to make theories about?
2. Not your mate.
3. Fine, so you need something before you can determine it's qualities. Logic and observation still aren't the same thing.
4. Paradoxes don't point out flaws in logic, logic points out flaws in paradoxes.
5. Well it was I that said not all rules have exceptions to begin with.
6. Image
     Last.fm | Raptr | NationStates | Twitter

As with sonar, the big problem with detection is interpreting the returning signals.
spaceman_DOUG 69

PSN ID: spacemanDOUG
Steam: spacemanDOUG

Postby Gaseous Snake » 14 Jun 2011, 19:41

1. Either observe something, or observe something's effects, or observe something's causes, or observe something, then make a theory from that, which then allows you to theorise about other things.
2. I still think of you as a chum; I haven't had an argument this good in ages.
3. No, observation is a part of logic.
4. "A paradox is a seemingly true statement or group of statements that lead to a contradiction or a situation which seems to defy logic or intuition." Paradoxes are created to defy logic.
5. Then it's your fault. Happy?
6. Can't see the picture.

Also, could people please tell me that they're from CVG in their friend requests, otherwise I won't accept them. Cheers.
Gaseous Snake 35

Postby spaceman_DOUG » 14 Jun 2011, 20:17

Gaseous Snake wrote:1. Either observe something, or observe something's effects, or observe something's causes, or observe something, then make a theory from that, which then allows you to theorise about other things.
2. I still think of you as a chum; I haven't had an argument this good in ages.
3. No, observation is a part of logic.
4. "A paradox is a seemingly true statement or group of statements that lead to a contradiction or a situation which seems to defy logic or intuition." Paradoxes are created to defy logic.
5. Then it's your fault. Happy?
6. Can't see the picture.

1. The problem with that is that it's very difficult to prove a link between cause and effect, and determine absolute facts on a fundamental level. Philosophy usually deals with fundamental ideas, like god, and uses logic to disprove aspects.
2. You obviously haven't been here long.
3. It's a part of deductive and inductive reasoning, which are a part of logic yes.
4. Paradoxes aren't created, they just are, also the key word there are "seems to defy logic".
5. What's my fault?
6. It was a picture of a smug bastard.

As with sonar, the big problem with detection is interpreting the returning signals.
spaceman_DOUG 69

Postby Gaseous Snake » 14 Jun 2011, 21:16

1. I fully agree; however, science takes a more front-line position in searching for that link, and is more successful, unless you count theoretical science as a part of philosophy, in which case it's 50/50.
2. I haven't, and I don't intend to stay long either; once my A-levels start in September, I'll have a lot of work to do (I'm taking 5), and all of my spare time I'm going to spend working, because I'm a materialist and thus like money.
3. Yes, the starting point. Glad we got that one cleared up.
4. Most paradoxes are created as a thought experiment, to demonstrate the (apparently) flawed logic or setup which can lead to (seemingly) unsolvable problems. If you look at paradoxes individually on Wikipedia, most have proposed answers.
5. At this point I'm not quite sure; if you find out, let me know.
6. I figured it'd be something like that.
7. This is a really good way of arguing; I'm going to use it in the future. It breaks things down well.

Gaseous Snake 35

Postby spaceman_DOUG » 14 Jun 2011, 22:01

Gaseous Snake wrote:1. I fully agree; however, science takes a more front-line position in searching for that link, and is more successful, unless you count theoretical science as a part of philosophy, in which case it's 50/50.
2. I haven't, and I don't intend to stay long either; once my A-levels start in September, I'll have a lot of work to do (I'm taking 5), and all of my spare time I'm going to spend working, because I'm a materialist and thus like money.
4. Most paradoxes are created as a thought experiment, to demonstrate the (apparently) flawed logic or setup which can lead to (seemingly) unsolvable problems. If you look at paradoxes individually on Wikipedia, most have proposed answers.
7. This is a really good way of arguing; I'm going to use it in the future. It breaks things down well.

I'd argue that paradoxical problems are created rather than just paradoxes, if that isn't splitting hairs. :P

spaceman_DOUG 69

Postby Gaseous Snake » 15 Jun 2011, 15:23

spaceman_DOUG wrote:
Gaseous Snake wrote:1. I fully agree; however, science takes a more front-line position in searching for that link, and is more successful, unless you count theoretical science as a part of philosophy, in which case it's 50/50.

I'd argue that paradoxical problems are created rather than just paradoxes, if that isn't splitting hairs. :P

To quote Monty Python; "Well if you're going to split hairs, I'm going to p**s off".

Gaseous Snake 35

Postby Multiplayerking » 19 Jun 2011, 12:39

Yeah, so... I love films. What about you guys?
Hey
Multiplayerking 68

PSN ID: gta-hellraiser61

Postby Deckard1990 » 28 Jun 2011, 10:28

Yeah gonna attemt to avoid the massive conversation that pre-cedes this post...

Hi all... good film choices throughout this tbh, mine:

1. Blade Runner
2. Shaun of the Dead
3. Fight Club
4. Starship Troopers
5. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
I occassionally spout thoughts here...

http://thereplicantopinion.blogspot.com/
Deckard1990 8

Postby CrispyLog » 28 Jun 2011, 11:39

Deckard1990 wrote:Yeah gonna attemt to avoid the massive conversation that pre-cedes this post...

1. Blade Runner
2. Shaun of the Dead
3. Fight Club
4. Starship Troopers

What's this, a guy called Deckard who's favourite film is Blade Runner? Well I never :P
It is a top quality film though.
Genius behind Niptendo (TM pending)

I distrust patriotism; the reasonable man can find little in these days that is worth dying for. But dying against - there's enough iniquity in Europe to carry the most urbane or decadent into battle.
CrispyLog 74

Xbox Live: SlowBurn87
xFire: CrispyLog

Postby Deckard1990 » 28 Jun 2011, 12:02

CrispyLog wrote:
Deckard1990 wrote:Yeah gonna attemt to avoid the massive conversation that pre-cedes this post...

1. Blade Runner
2. Shaun of the Dead
3. Fight Club
4. Starship Troopers

What's this, a guy called Deckard who's favourite film is Blade Runner? Well I never :P
It is a top quality film though.

You see what i did there did yah? :wink:
I occassionally spout thoughts here...

http://thereplicantopinion.blogspot.com/
Deckard1990 8

Re:

Postby JerryDen » 03 Sep 2012, 03:50

THX-1138 4EB wrote:1. Blade Runner
2. The Seven Samurai
3. Manhattan
4. Star Wars
5. Sonatine

Really nice choice. I have also watched all the movies in this list and enjoyed it.
JerryDen 1
New user

Postby FishyGinger » 05 Sep 2012, 13:13

Ummm, tough one this.

Shawshank Redemption - Classic really
Aliens - You could argue the first one, but this is the ultimate action film
Jaws - I could watch this everytime it's on.
Predator - It has a minigun.
Terminator 2 - The only bad point about this film is that Robert Patrick doesn't kill John Connor.

Other mentions should go to Rocky, Inception, the recent batman films, lord of the rings and the thing.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 69

Postby alinabenson » 10 Sep 2012, 05:54

Mine top 5 favorite films are:-

1.THE GRADUATE
2.THE GODFATHER PART II
3.MIDNIGHT COWBOY
4.THE AFRICAN QUEEN
5.BLADE RUNNER
alinabenson 4
New user