to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Clarkson and the n word

Discuss entertainment, TV, Film, sport, politics, whatever you want

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Clarkson and the n word

Postby kovin » 02 May 2014, 10:09

did he say it: probably
did he mean anything by it: no

he's of a certain age, where that was a version of that rhyme

The Mirror, hired digital analysts to look at the video - they really had to look hard for something to get upset about

its a bad word that shouldn't be used, but do you think he should get fired about it?
Last edited by kovin on 02 May 2014, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
kovin 60

PSN ID: GregorKovin

Re: Clarkson and the n word

Postby Reegeee » 02 May 2014, 10:21

No. Piers Morgan is trying his absolute best on twitter to make it happen and I would rather he was disappointed than Clarkson get the sack.

Plus, its not that bad really is it? He apologised as well. I say its all a fuss about nothing. If he had said something genuinely derogatory about a racial group then he would deserve a good kicking, but repeating an old rhyme from years ago that people (wrongly) used to sing? Nah.
Reegeee 74

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby billysastard » 02 May 2014, 11:30

eeenie meenie miney mo,
grab the pitchforks,
make clarkson go.

seriously, all this fuss is just another media / morgan generated storm in a teacup,

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby Simon_H4 » 02 May 2014, 12:05

What a load of old b*****ks.

This N-word comment ( I know the rhyme and I used the n-word when signing it in the 70s, cos that was the f**king words!) is all about trying to get Clarkson out of his ludicrous salary - jealousy then.

He's made much worse comments that have actually been aired! I literally spat red wine over our sitting room carpet when he made the comment about the slope on the "bridge over the river kwai" episode. Bloody hilarious!

Funny how you can say slope*, but not that n-word.

*fingers crossed you're still allowed to say "slope" without getting a virtual kicking :|
Simon_H4 69

Postby Tailisjoy » 02 May 2014, 13:17

If the word shouldn't be used by anyone then fair enough he has done wrong. But as I understand the context in which he used it then no, he's not done anything wrong.
Tailisjoy 74

Xbox Live: 3DS-1993-9136-3386
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot
Wii Code: WiiU-Saul_Iscariot

Postby Multiplayerking » 02 May 2014, 13:33

Personally, I don't see a difference between nigger and nigga.

It's a pretty pointless argument. Racism isn't just a slip of the tongue. It's an attitude.
Hey
Multiplayerking 69

PSN ID: gta-hellraiser61

Postby StonecoldMC » 02 May 2014, 13:40

Stolen from Twitter:

Stefan Plebovich ‏@Stifanovich 5h
I'm not sure if Jeremy Clarkson is racist, but he is a right-wing Thatcher-loving privileged Tory tw@t taking the p**s out of his dumb fans.

He's like a caricature of his former self and thrives on the cheap kind of publicity that this latest furore will bring him.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby Paul Skinback » 02 May 2014, 14:05

Simon_H4 wrote:What a load of old b*****ks.

This N-word comment ( I know the rhyme and I used the n-word when signing it in the 70s, cos that was the f**king words!) is all about trying to get Clarkson out of his ludicrous salary - jealousy then.

He's made much worse comments that have actually been aired! I literally spat red wine over our sitting room carpet when he made the comment about the slope on the "bridge over the river kwai" episode. Bloody hilarious!

*fingers crossed you're still allowed to say "slope" without getting a virtual kicking :|

Red wine drinking ponce.
Old, ungifted and white.
Paul Skinback 78

Postby Simon_H4 » 02 May 2014, 14:37

Paul Skinback wrote:
Simon_H4 wrote:What a load of old b*****ks.

Red wine drinking ponce.

Wineist!!!!!

I don't drink red wine anymore, given it up. I'm just a beer drinker now.

At least I don't smoke (or support that "football" team) :wink:

I actually said something racist last night, it wasn't exactly by mistake either. Was taken in good faith and we all had a little giggle about it.

EDIT: Probably should add that the company at my place last night was not all white! :D
Simon_H4 69

Postby lordirongut » 02 May 2014, 15:44

While I've had this argument too many times today I do feel pretty strongly about it so I'll just copy my essay from The Guardian. A lot of it was aimed at the the commenters there so if I sound like I'm insulting you, I'm not ;)

"Is this tedious witch hunt over yet? Because that's what it amounts to.

To sum up all of my arguments from yesterday:

On Clarkson Himself:
He isn't racist. He made a nursery rhyme from the 1950s and he even mumbled out the offensive part. He apologized for it after in case it was mistconstrued. He's a man with a lot of controversial opinions, but he is ultimately a caricature of himself. Nobody really takes his opinions seriously about anything other than cars, and he isn't a member of the news team, so he's entitled to those views even if we don't always agree with him. I know I don't - but does that stop me enjoying Top Gear? No.

On who is and who isn't racist:
I've seen the point being made on here that because I'm white and have never been subject to racism, my opinion is invalid. Does that count for all the white, upper-middle class keyboard warriors as well? I don't subscribe to those arguments. Indeed, I have been the subject or racism when I lived abroad. Obviously it can't compare to what Britain did around the world but the point still stands.

I've also seen the point being made that those standing up for Clarkson are, by default, almost, racist. That's a judgemental and dangerous line of thought and is the kind of thought that people through history have thrived upon to get their opponents silenced. Whip up a bit of moral outrage and you can brand anyone an enemy. It makes you just as bad as those you claim to hate.

On Context:
Context is everything, and malice has to be there for it to be real racism. If Clarkson had gone up to a man in the street and called him the n-word to his face then yes, fire him. That would be grossly immoral and offensive. But he said it in the context of a nursery rhyme, and one in which he mumbled out the offensive part anyway. You can't lynch a man for that. The same goes for the 'slopes' incident - it obviously wasn't malicious and was just some cheap wordplay, so it was utterly harmless.

On Why PC is Dangerous:
PC is, itself, institutionally racist. It offers certain protections to some groups over others based on skin colour or other uncontrollable factors. No matter how you look at it, that is discrimination, and it creates inequality in some way. The only way to achieve true equality is to treat everyone equally. That means either everything is fair game for insult, or nothing is, and the latter is a thought-police state with no freedom of speech. I hate groups like the BNP with a passion - I find their views vile and abhorrent. But I also believe that censuring anyone for what they say is wrong. PC can only lead to a society with the arbitrary fragmentation of people based on uncontrollable factors, or to a police state. Neither is satisfactory.

On Stereotype-based Humour:
Clarkson's slurs on Mexican people and similar were jokes that play on stereotypes, but that isn't racism. It's a joke - not one to everyone's taste, but also not intended to actually offend people. Stereotype-based humour is common and popular, like it or not. If it weren't, then most of the Looney Tunes (Pe Pe Le Pew is a French stereotype, Speedy Gonzalez a Mexican one, Yosemite Sam a Texan and so forth) would be banned, as would a lot of cartoon shows, as would a lot of classic comedies and heck, even Disney movies. It isn't racist because everyone knows that it is exaggerated and not meant to be taken seriously. If we all got offended every time an American TV show made reference at British people's apparently bad teeth then OfCom would have millions of complaints per hour and we'd all be very miserable. In short, lighten up a bit.

On Being 'Anti-racist' On the Internet:
It's pointless, and you're the most annoying and pretentious type of person. If you really cared about stopping racism (which is a very worthy cause) then you'd go out into the world, come back, and disseminate the things that you've learned, or you'd pay for others to do the same. Punitively banning words is pointless and only serves to counter your own cause - both for the reasons above, and also because it just creates resentment. But going out into the world or paying for someone else to takes effort and/or money, while being a pretentious little keyboard warrior is free and easy. If you really care, and frankly I doubt that a lot of people here really do, then education is the only way to effectively counter racism.

I'm going to leave on one of my favourite quotes from Star Trek: 'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we are all damaged."

And I stand by every word.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
lordirongut 66

PSN ID: lordirongut

Postby Barry316 » 02 May 2014, 16:20

They should set fire to him immediately. Not for this, just because he's Jeremy Clarkson. Do Katie Hopkins if there's enough petrol left.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby Paul Skinback » 02 May 2014, 16:26

I'd shoot Clarkson because I don't like him but I'd set light to Morgan.
I like him less.
Old, ungifted and white.
Paul Skinback 78

Postby ricflair » 02 May 2014, 17:31

lordirongut wrote:While I've had this argument too many times today I do feel pretty strongly about it so I'll just copy my essay from The Guardian. A lot of it was aimed at the the commenters there so if I sound like I'm insulting you, I'm not ;) ...

God I hate the Guardian comments, probably more than CVG's articles because the Guardian is usually about s**t that matters!

Good work!
Woo
ricflair 76

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 02 May 2014, 20:49

It's a load of fuss created over nothing.

Also, Jeremy is a legend. That is all.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby CrispyLog » 02 May 2014, 22:33

Mmmmgrolsch wrote:It's a load of fuss created over nothing.

Also, Jeremy is a legend. That is all.

How did I know you'd be supporting anyone who threw out some racist comments? :D

Thing is, foreigners say s**t like this all the time on their telly channels and in their languages so it never get's picked up on, so it seems bullshit that this does.
Genius behind Niptendo (TM pending)

I distrust patriotism; the reasonable man can find little in these days that is worth dying for. But dying against - there's enough iniquity in Europe to carry the most urbane or decadent into battle.
CrispyLog 75

Xbox Live: SlowBurn87
xFire: CrispyLog

Next