to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

UK in the EU

Discuss entertainment, TV, Film, sport, politics, whatever you want

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

UK in the EU

Postby Samildanach » 24 Jan 2013, 13:28

So the UK are going to have a referendum on whether to remain in the EU. What do you Brits reckon? Will you begone from the EU in 2017?

I think it'd be a mistake if you left. I can't see the powers that be allowing you to leave and getting some kind of deal like the Danish, Norwegians, Swiss etc have.
PSN- Samildanach

You do not agree with my quest. I understand that, so much as it is possible to understand someone with whom I disagree so completely.
Samildanach 71
Global Moderator

PSN ID: Samildanach

Re: UK in the EU

Postby rbt2 » 24 Jan 2013, 13:29

We should get out and get out now.
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Postby StonecoldMC » 24 Jan 2013, 13:31

Well after Scotland leaves the rest of the UK in a few years time, I'm pretty sure we would be more than happy to join our European counterparts.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby Samildanach » 24 Jan 2013, 13:34

Thats it Stonie, if Scotland votes for independence, then most of the shipping to whats left of the UK will come in through Scotland, plus English companies who rely on exports will move north of the border so as to pay smaller taxes. They'd be going it alone for the most part.
PSN- Samildanach

You do not agree with my quest. I understand that, so much as it is possible to understand someone with whom I disagree so completely.
Samildanach 71
Global Moderator

PSN ID: Samildanach

Postby rbt2 » 24 Jan 2013, 13:35

We joined a common market, not a slow train to federalism.

Out.

I feel very strongly about this as if you hadn't already guessed.
rbt2 76

Postby FishyGinger » 24 Jan 2013, 13:51

Whichever nets me the most positive net twix gain.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 69

Postby rbt2 » 24 Jan 2013, 13:55

And to think we had an Empire not so long ago.
Where it all went wrong was with the abolition of slavery.
rbt2 76

Postby FishyGinger » 24 Jan 2013, 14:25

On another note, North Korea have just said one of the daftest things possible to annoy the most trigger happy nation on the planet;

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/north-korea-pl ... 54034.html

I'm sure that'll go down a bomb in the US.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 69

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 24 Jan 2013, 14:34

I think having no barriers to trade and travel is very important and not something the UK wants to lose, however I feel the European courts shouldnt have as much of say (in fact I dont think they should have any say) in how we run our legal system.

On topic side question. If the UK was to leave europe, what would happen with Northern Ireland and the republic? As it stands, the republic is a European state, as is the UK. If the UK left Europe, would that mean people would need a passport to travel between Northern and southern ireland?
DAEDALUS79 73

Xbox Live: scyzer500
PSN ID: macby19

Postby Multiplayerking » 24 Jan 2013, 14:52

StonecoldMC wrote:Well after Scotland leaves the rest of the UK in a few years time, I'm pretty sure we would be more than happy to join our European counterparts.

And we shall welcome you with open arms.
Hey
Multiplayerking 68

PSN ID: gta-hellraiser61

Postby spaceman_DOUG » 24 Jan 2013, 15:33

Trade and travel like Daedalus said, so in.
     Last.fm | Raptr | NationStates | Twitter

As with sonar, the big problem with detection is interpreting the returning signals.
spaceman_DOUG 69

PSN ID: spacemanDOUG
Steam: spacemanDOUG

Postby ricflair » 24 Jan 2013, 17:56

Pretty much the whole EU is ridiculous. Unfortunately, the very people who could change it have the most to gain by drawing out the bureaucracy and so on it goes. I don

The obscene farming subsidies, pointless little bits of dictat etc etc. Freedom of movement and trade are great. We are separate countries, there's no shame in that. Cameron is a t**t, pandering to little Englanders in his party though. I'd vote to stay, but really it needs a root and branch overhaul, which is never going to happen unless it comes crashing down. And don't even get me started on having a currency fixed at the same interest rates/inflation but shared between massively varying economies.

We thought the UK MPs were bad, they've got nothing on the MEPs. It's good for the cap in hand smaller countries, so Ireland dig it and if Scotland decide to fly solo, they'll want a piece of the pie.
Woo
ricflair 76

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby StonecoldMC » 24 Jan 2013, 18:04

Multiplayerking wrote:
StonecoldMC wrote:Well after Scotland leaves the rest of the UK in a few years time, I'm pretty sure we would be more than happy to join our European counterparts.

And we shall welcome you with open arms.

"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby StonecoldMC » 24 Jan 2013, 18:07

ricflair wrote:Pretty much the whole EU is ridiculous. Unfortunately, the very people who could change it have the most to gain by drawing out the bureaucracy and so on it goes. I don

The obscene farming subsidies, pointless little bits of dictat etc etc. Freedom of movement and trade are great. We are separate countries, there's no shame in that. Cameron is a t**t, pandering to little Englanders in his party though. I'd vote to stay, but really it needs a root and branch overhaul, which is never going to happen unless it comes crashing down. And don't even get me started on having a currency fixed at the same interest rates/inflation but shared between massively varying economies.

We thought the UK MPs were bad, they've got nothing on the MEPs. It's good for the cap in hand smaller countries, so Ireland dig it and if Scotland decide to fly solo, they'll want a piece of the pie.

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby ricflair » 24 Jan 2013, 20:17

Ha ha!

I'd be up for dropping out of Europe altogether if it meant less localisation issues, catering for all the weird speakers.
Woo
ricflair 76

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Next