Refurnished phones

Discuss entertainment, TV, Film, sport, politics, whatever you want

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Refurnished phones

Postby dwhlufc » 17 Jan 2013, 21:48

Need abit of advice if anyone could help, please?

I lost my phone (bet Baz is gutted :wink: ) today and when I phoned up my insurance they asked for £75 for a refurbished replacement. I don't think the price is to bad for an iphone4 but I've never bought anything apart from the odd videogame secondhand, so does anyone know if its worth going ahead with, or should I just buy a cheap handset until my contract is up for renewal?

@mods, feel free to delete or lock this in a day or two, if anyone replies with some advice.
dwhlufc 76

Re: Refurnished phones

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 17 Jan 2013, 22:00

Mate to be fair these phone companies normally fit completely new covers, buttons and screens. If it still applies then I'd go for that. But I'm surprised you're being asked to pay £75 for a refurbishment, that insurance sounds pretty crap if you're paying monthly for it.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby dwhlufc » 17 Jan 2013, 22:27

It's not strictly just phone insurance, mate. We have this cover which costs £7 a month and it gives us cover for all our electrical items in the house, green flag and cover for a few other things. It should be £14 a month but we get a discount because the mrs works for the bank.
dwhlufc 76

Postby shellster2 » 17 Jan 2013, 22:28

Don't suppose you've tried the find my iPhone option on the iCloud website have you?
Loving LCFC's surge to the top.
shellster2 68

Xbox Live: scootoss
PSN ID: scootoss
Wii Code: wiiu - scootoss
Steam: scootoss

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 17 Jan 2013, 22:50

Ah fair play then mate. Personally I'd got with a refurb at that price.

@Shelster, this is simple Dave you're talking to :wink: He has trouble texting on his phone let alone tracking it via an app.

This is also the reason why the Avast phone security is so f**king awesome for Androids. If I lose my phone I can control it via my laptop like tuning the camera or mic on, turning GPS on to locate it, sounding a siren or blocking it etc etc. Can also do this stuff via text commands.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby Barry316 » 17 Jan 2013, 23:02

We all only read the site to see what your phone will type next!
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 67

Postby dwhlufc » 17 Jan 2013, 23:23

shellster2 wrote:Don't suppose you've tried the find my iPhone option on the iCloud website have you?

Yeah, the mrs tried it while I was at work and it turned nothing up. I'm guessing whoever picked it up turned it off instantly. I was working in a very shady area today and I basically ran back within two or three minutes to where I thought I'd lost it and saw two girls looking at me from behind some curtains across the road. Thing is, they were walking past me as I jumped in the wagon so I reckon they had it away. I obviously can't prove it so I couldn't go knocking their door asking for it.

I'm not fussed about the phone, just the pics of my kids. I've had it bLocked anyway and orange said if they manage to unblock iOS6 then they'll just find a blank phone with factory settings so they won't see any of my pics or videos, thank god.
dwhlufc 76

Postby Multiplayerking » 18 Jan 2013, 00:16

Funny enough, I just got a fancy phone, a Galaxy Mini for €80. I had no idea what I was missing out on. The apps and mini-games are great. I'm using it to type this but it takes ages!
Hey
Multiplayerking 69

PSN ID: gta-hellraiser61

Postby middle finger » 18 Jan 2013, 02:41

dwhlufc wrote:Need abit of advice if anyone could help, please?

I lost my phone (bet Baz is gutted :wink: ) today and when I phoned up my insurance they asked for £75 for a refurbished replacement. I don't think the price is to bad for an iphone4 but I've never bought anything apart from the odd videogame secondhand, so does anyone know if its worth going ahead with, or should I just buy a cheap handset until my contract is up for renewal?

@mods, feel free to delete or lock this in a day or two, if anyone replies with some advice.

Wait, You're paying for an insurance, Yet they're still asking you for £75? Mine is insured with natwest, but I know they're replacing it straight away at no extra cost.
middle finger 67

Postby Samildanach » 18 Jan 2013, 02:53

£75?! Thats a bit steep man. When I put my phone, a Galaxy SII in the washing machine I got a brand new replacement for €30. But then my insurance is included in the contract.
PSN- Samildanach

You do not agree with my quest. I understand that, so much as it is possible to understand someone with whom I disagree so completely.
Samildanach 71
Global Moderator

PSN ID: Samildanach

Postby dwhlufc » 18 Jan 2013, 15:27

Don't think I'm going to bother after everyone saying I seems steep.

@mpk, is that galaxy any good?
dwhlufc 76

Postby Multiplayerking » 18 Jan 2013, 17:50

Haven't had another smart phone to compare it to, but I love it. It does everything an iPhone would do, and I have a lot of beer funds left over too! The sound and picture are great on it.
Hey
Multiplayerking 69

PSN ID: gta-hellraiser61

Postby shellster2 » 18 Jan 2013, 17:54

Multiplayerking wrote:Haven't had another smart phone to compare it to, but I love it. It does everything an iPhone would do, and I have a lot of beer funds left over too! The sound and picture are great on it.

Bet it doesn't have apple maps :)
Loving LCFC's surge to the top.
shellster2 68

Xbox Live: scootoss
PSN ID: scootoss
Wii Code: wiiu - scootoss
Steam: scootoss