Angry Grandad: Right or wrong?

Discuss entertainment, TV, Film, sport, politics, whatever you want

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Angry Grandad: Right or wrong?

Postby TheLastDodo » 16 Jan 2013, 15:10

An angry grandfather walked out of a HMV store yesterday with three games after staff refused to accept his gift voucher.

Despite slipping into administration this week HMV stores continue to trade, but gift vouchers have been deemed worthless - angering many who received them at Christmas.

Eric Nolan, from Dublin, bought his grandson Cian a €40 HMV gift voucher for Christmas, but was told by staff in the Henry Street store it was worthless. Nolan had brought to the counter Euro Truck Simulator 2 (€22.40), The Sims 3 Town Life (€11.99) and Rail Simulator (€28).

At the till a 25 per cent discount was applied, reducing the total from €62.39 to €46.80. He then presented the voucher but was told it wasn't valid. So Eric simply took the games and walked out.

Security staff followed him down the street, according to the Irish Independent, but failed to prevent him making off with the goods. "Somebody has made a conscious decision not to pay out on vouchers and it's despicable," Mr. Nolan told the paper.

He intends to post the voucher and €6.80 to the store. "We are a nation of sheep - but I was determined to win this," he said. "HMV have taken hundreds of thousands of euro from the Irish people this Christmas and we shouldn't put up with it."

HMV is facing growing anger over its decision to refuse gift vouchers, and many customers believe the company should have stopped selling them in early December after warning investors of the coming crisis. Yesterday police were called to a HMV store in Oxford to sort out a dispute sparked when staff refused to accept vouchers from two customers.

Finance director Ian Kenyonn said the company was confident of its legal position, having checked with lawyers back in December. "We had a reasonable expectation [in the runup to Christmas] of addressing our issues with the banks," he said.
TheLastDodo 77

Re: Angry Grandad: Right or wrong?

Postby rbt2 » 16 Jan 2013, 15:13

Typical Irish.
f**king troublemakers.
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Postby Barry316 » 16 Jan 2013, 15:15

I nearly traded a few old games in there last week to put on a gift card ready for God of War. Lucky i didn't, otherwise there would be a story about me knocking over a pile of on sale dvds and crying in the corner added to these.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 67

Postby StonecoldMC » 16 Jan 2013, 15:34

Wrong wrong wrong and wrong!

People are going mental in shops screaming "What do you mean I can't spend my gift voucher, IT'S £20 f**king POUNDS." As the poor assistant serving them cry's quietly thinking 'how the f**k am I going to pay my mortgage next month?'
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby TheLastDodo » 16 Jan 2013, 15:43

rbt2 wrote:Typical Irish.
f**king troublemakers.

Conveniently skipped the part about southerners causing trouble too eh? ;)

It's wrong but I can't bring myself to criticise or judge this guy.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby middle finger » 16 Jan 2013, 16:17

The grandpa is right. End off.
middle finger 67

Postby FishyGinger » 16 Jan 2013, 16:19

From a legal standpoint I don't believe the old timer is in the right. Whether he cares I don't know. Morally I think badger culling is wrong, they should be trained into the army as front line fighters nicknamed The AnkleNippers. Also anyone buying Euro Truck Simulator and Rail Simulator is clearly a mental-head.

But it is the hmv frontline (ha, fleas...) staff getting the grief. I know I wouldn't help anyone arguing about vouchers if I were working there.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby El Mag » 16 Jan 2013, 16:42

He was probably wrong but you can't deny the fact that angry old people are bloody amazing.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby neilpfox » 16 Jan 2013, 16:49

Aye he's wrong, legally anyway. He even took stuff worth more than the value of the voucher. May as well done a trolley dash while he was at it. :D
Pika's Back! W00T!
neilpfox 61

Wii Code: 3DS 2836-0155-3079
Steam: neilpfox
Battle.net: neilpfox@hotmail.com

Postby middle finger » 16 Jan 2013, 17:02

FishyGinger wrote:From a legal standpoint I don't believe the old timer is in the right. Whether he cares I don't know. Morally I think badger culling is wrong, they should be trained into the army as front line fighters nicknamed The AnkleNippers. Also anyone buying Euro Truck Simulator and Rail Simulator is clearly a mental-head.

But it is the hmv frontline (ha, fleas...) staff getting the grief. I know I wouldn't help anyone arguing about vouchers if I were working there.

He is not guilty unless proven otherwise. If they don't press charges, he is right.
middle finger 67

Postby StonecoldMC » 16 Jan 2013, 17:05

middle finger wrote:
FishyGinger wrote:From a legal standpoint I don't believe the old timer is in the right. Whether he cares I don't know. Morally I think badger culling is wrong, they should be trained into the army as front line fighters nicknamed The AnkleNippers. Also anyone buying Euro Truck Simulator and Rail Simulator is clearly a mental-head.

He is not guilty unless proven otherwise. If they don't press charges, he is right.

No. He is legally in the wrong.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby rbt2 » 16 Jan 2013, 17:06

I wouldn't have thought HMV could afford to take him to court.
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Postby Queen Skillage » 16 Jan 2013, 17:09

El Mag wrote:He was probably wrong but you can't deny the fact that angry old people are bloody amazing.

That's probably the nicest thing I've ever seen you say about rbt.
Queen Skillage 64
Global Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 16 Jan 2013, 17:14

That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about him.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby middle finger » 16 Jan 2013, 17:20

@stonecold, that's not how law works.
middle finger 67

Next