John Bishop.

Discuss entertainment, TV, Film, sport, politics, whatever you want

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: John Bishop.

Postby Reegeee » 21 Dec 2012, 00:01

I think it's cos he is incredibly hit and miss. Every now and then I hear him say something that makes me laugh but it's normally because it's terrible if you know what I mean.

I agree with you and Flair about Hicks too by the way. I can totally get the way people get kind of rabid behind him as he is such a preacher, but you're bang on when you say he drags some stuff on way too much.

He was an important voice though you have to give him that.

I like that Louis CK fella, the American. He's a funny bloke I reckon.
Reegeee 75

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby StonecoldMC » 21 Dec 2012, 11:43

spaceman_DOUG wrote:I like Bill Hicks but I sometimes think me milks his jokes too much. Maybe it's for the american audience I don't know.

A Rant In E-Minor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-51V-gUaPxY

The full thing! No need to thank me.

And anyone who says Hicks fans are rabid or too full on HAS ME TO DEAL WITH!!!

:wink:

So far ahead of his time its unreal.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby ricflair » 21 Dec 2012, 12:31

It is unreal. Literally. Him being ahead of his time isn't real, as he wasn't. He was merely an amusing comic who died young and therefore is eulogised as some kind of prophet.

Same with Stewart Lee actually. Can be really funny, but his attempts as being really subversive just fall flat when they go on and on and on...
Future Plc, you bloody idiots.

RIP CVG. Long live CVGSC!! http://cvgsc.boards.net - http://thewildbunchcvg.wix.com/cvgsc
ricflair 78

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby cult » 21 Dec 2012, 12:32

While I think Hicks was clever and pushed some boundaries I much prefer Denis Leary doing the same act.
Put either on TV and its Leary that still connects, Hicks was fine for the time but his recordings just seem dated.
Hicks just appears angry sometimes whereas Leary empathised some joy.

Rob Newman; 'the history of oil' and 'from Caliban to Taliban' and Mark Thomas 'projects' are the modern educated riffs on our sad culture and the failures of capitalism.

Back on topic: John Bishop... Long time owner of the betamax copy of the comedians from the 70's.
Will end up doing a Stan Boardman tribute act.
ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
cult 63

Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Postby StonecoldMC » 21 Dec 2012, 13:14

Denis Leary's whole routine is just ripped from Hicks, pretty much in its entirety.

For me Hicks's stand up routine still resonates today and he is still relevant and on topic, be he talking about guns, drugs or the American culture in general.

Im not putting him up to be a prophet or anything like that, but if you read or hear most comedians talk about influences and who they admire or look up to then Hicks is generally at the top of most peoples lists.

The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think that it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly coloured, and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question - is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us. They say 'Hey! Don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride.' And we...kill those people. Ha ha ha. 'Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride. SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry. Look at my big bank account and family. This just has to be real.' It's just a ride. But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok. But it doesn't matter because: it's just a ride. And we can change it anytime we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings, and money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourselves off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one. Here's what you can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money that we spend on weapons and defence each year, and instead spend it feeding, clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, for ever, in peace.

PEACE
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby rbt2 » 21 Dec 2012, 18:21

But didn't Hicks nick his routine from Lenny Bruce?
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Previous